What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wemo smart plug

CharlieL

I've been looking for a remote switch to put in my hangar to control my engine heater. I purchased a wemo smart plug today. After getting it home, I was looking through the paper work (imagine that!) and found that they recommend a temperature range of 0-40 C. This kind of defeats the purpose of a switch to control a heater. Does anyone have experience using the wemo switch in cold weather, maybe down to 10 F? Any issues or does it seem to work ok? Thanks

Wemo

I use a Wemo switch and it works great. We have had temps probably minus 15 degrees Celsius maybe colder and it worked fine

I used one for a couple of years and it worked great. Controlled it with my I pad. My wife didn't like the thought of going to the airport, plugging in the heater, waiting for a couple of hours, then going flying.

I see a lot of posts about remote heating engines .. I noticed some of the poster's locations were in moderate climates and was just curious what is everyone's criteria for heating up the engine?

Edit: I found this great article - https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182846-1.html

Since I'm still renting and have never owned I just show up and they have already preheated everything for me, learn something new every day! Still curious of everyone's criteria.

Last edited:
I use one and love it. The hanger I?m in is heated but is always below freezing when it gets down around 10f outside. Always works, except when the WiFi is down of course. With the full compliment of Reiff equipment, if it?s 25 in the hanger, 3 hours of preheat brings oil temp up to 75 ish. Nice to have.

I see a lot of posts about remote heating engines .. I noticed some of the poster's locations were in moderate climates and was just curious what is everyone's criteria for heating up the engine?

The thermostatically-controlled sump heater on my RV-6 runs 24/7 December through March and maintains the entire engine at ~90F in the insulated hangar. The engine thinks it is spending the winter in Florida..... :)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it should work, I'll give it a try. Sure beats driving 40 minutes to the hangar to plug in the heater!

I can't speak to the reliability in low temps but I've used mine for 2 seasons now in a hangar that stays around 40F. It has been very reliable at that temp. I'm quite happy with it.

Edit: I found this great article - https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182846-1.html

Since I'm still renting and have never owned I just show up and they have already preheated everything for me, learn something new every day! Still curious of everyone's criteria.

IMO, the faster you can get the engine oil to 180 degrees, the better. Even in the summer.

We live in Southern CA and the weather here is pretty mild by comparison. Still, we are so close to the runway that if we don't pre-heat, we have to wait a
long time for the temps to come up to the point that I feel comfortable asking the engine to develop 285 ponies to haul us into the air. YMMV

-Marc

Back