What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sources for wiring and connectors?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Hello all!! Starting to get going on some wiring and wondering where everyone bought wire and connectors(dsub, etc) from. Did most just go Stein or is there some others I should consider?

yes, plus one. I got all my tools from B&C. Spruce has most of this stuff, but they resell B&C stuff as well.

Not to hijack this thread, but question is related. I'd like to go, as much as possible, with MIL-SPEC round (Amphenol) connectors once I start wiring things up. But, they are so expensive, even used. Has anyone found an affordable source for these? I know, you get what you pay for but wow. I used to work in an avionics engineering company where we used these connectors exclusively and I have grown to trust them, but I never had to fork over my own money for them :D

Not to hijack this thread, but question is related. I'd like to go, as much as possible, with MIL-SPEC round (Amphenol) connectors once I start wiring things up. But, they are so expensive, even used. Has anyone found an affordable source for these? I know, you get what you pay for but wow. I used to work in an avionics engineering company where we used these connectors exclusively and I have grown to trust them, but I never had to fork over my own money for them :D

Yes, the Mil-Spec are expensive, but they also use the same style pins (gold plating) as the D-Sub, which are relatively inexpensive and widely used. The tools to install/remove the pins are also less expensive.

I went with CAT Deutsch DTM gold plated pins and connectors for the important engine and electrical items. spendy crimper but it came out great.

Digikey has a good selection of DBx connectors that use MIL Spec crimp contacts.

Last edited:

Being close to the end of building I have drawn some conclusions. I did not use connectors for panel and wings. It would have helped greatly with some advance planning. If you are sourcing a panel, then the connectors make good sense, you can install the long runs and just connect them when installing the panel. Wings: if you are wiring and building in the a hangar, maybe ok to skip wing root connectors, but if you are building at home (like me) they would be a great help for final assembly. Planning takes time, connectors cost money, but both will save huge time on final assembly and allow that for systems adjustments and checkout.

The Deutsch DT connectors are really tough. Buy the kit from a Cat dealer with the crimper and the box of connectors is nearly free compared to the crimper alone. The DT's are good for high vibration and sealed against corrosion.

There will be a lot of different connectors (and terminals), lighting, engine block heater, and other items that come with connectors (alternator). DigiKey is good, Mouser too.

Last edited:

I'm using TE Connectivity AMP CPC (circular plastic connector) Series II for signals. These use the same 20 AWG pins as the MIL SPEC connectors (and the same as the low density D-subs). I got mine at Mouser, but most suppliers have them.

For power connections, I'm using Deutsch DT and DTM connectors. These are great since they are environmentally sealed, and I plan to use these, too, in the wing roots and other areas more exposed to the environment. I got mine at https://www.deutschconnector.com

The quality to price ratio is very high for both...

For another perspective,

Ever wired up a round connector with at least a couple dozen (or twice that many) pins? Ever had to move and/or replace a pin in the middle? No doubt it's a little easier with removable pins than the older solder cup style (which I've built), but trust me; it'll still be easier if there's only 2 rows of pins. I know Dsubs don't look 'military', but we're not going to the moon in these planes, right? :)

For power connections, I'm using Deutsch DT and DTM connectors. These are great since they are environmentally sealed, and I plan to use these, too, in the wing roots and other areas more exposed to the environment. I got mine at https://www.deutschconnector.com

Another vote for DTs. Amphenol AT connectors are interchangable. Tried them when I built the wiring for the EIs and really liked them.

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/13/Deutsch-DT-Compatible-AT-Connectors/

Thanks everyone!!! Now I've got to stop spending hours online looking at stuff and get out in the garage!!

One quick note... AMP CPC connectors are more accurately described as Circular POLARIZED Connectors. I've been using them since the 80's and have found them to be excellent in aviation applications, including harsh environments. If buying the larger-series connectors, don't be afraid of the tinned contacts - they stand up very well, as long as they are not sitting in water. We operated in the tropics and sub-Saharan Africa using these connectors with nary a contact problem. The only time we had connector troubles was when somebody was careless and let them fall into the path of dolly wheels and similar situations where they would be physically crushed.

That link only shows pins for 14-18 gage wire only.

Are pins available for 20 g and 22 g wire, or do you have to 'fake it out' when you crimp?

I bought the 14-18 pins, don't know about 20-22. The Motorcraft OEM plug harness for the EDIS modules is about 16ga, and IIRC I wired pretty much everything else with 18.

Back