Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM

I had a similar situation come up several years ago. A gentleman bought an RV and wanted me to do a condition inspection. I didn't have time, so I referred him to Darrell over in Mineral Wells. Darrell sent me a ton of pictures of discrepancies including telephone wire run through garden hose, never installed rivets, figure 8 holes on the main wing spar attach, and things you would not believe. It took him over a year to get the airplane to "a condition for safe operation".
I started to say "back in a condition for safe operation", but it apparently was never there to begin with.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 175hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Folks, please be careful. There was a fatal E-AB (non-RV) accident at LVK this weekend due to an in-flight fire immediately after takeoff.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM
paul mosher

Default 14th build??

So this guy has built14 airplanes. I've seen this "this is the way we've always done it" attitude at certified shops. Unfortuneatly that way was wrong. There are plenty of reference material for the correct way of doing things. Use it.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM

There is a common myth that build quality is better from a builder who has done it before. Some of the worst examples I have seen came from "experienced" builders. But I have never seen one quite this bad.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Default DAR

I am wondering who was the D.A.R. on the plane?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 PM
paul mosher

Default pencil whippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
I know of more than on IA s that pencil whip annuals I wouldn't be surprised that there are DARs that do the same.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
My plane was inspected by the local FSDO and there was no inspection. All he did was walk around the plane once, made sure the paperwork was in order, and then left. It took maybe 20 minutes. The FSDO made it very clear thay their job was not to make sure the plane was airworthy or safe, that was up to the builder, they told me. That said, our EAA chapter was all over the plane before I moved it to the airport and again before the first flight.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 06-11-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 AM

While it is the duty of the DAR to only make sure that the aircraft meets regulations, He/she may also deny airworthiness certificate issuance for anything he/she feels is unsafe.

I think most DARs go that extra mile to give the aircraft a thorough inspection, informing the applicant of questionable practices.
I know that I will not sign off on anything I'm not comfortable with, and I think my clients appreciate that.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 175hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
While it is the duty of the DAR to only make sure that the aircraft meets regulations, He/she may also deny airworthiness certificate issuance for anything he/she feels is unsafe.

I think most DARs go that extra mile to give the aircraft a thorough inspection, informing the applicant of questionable practices.
I know that I will not sign off on anything I'm not comfortable with, and I think my clients appreciate that.
That explains a lot in my mind. I have had a very difficult time finding an already-flying plane to buy. Some of that is the fact that you simply can't go see every plane you think you might be interested in. But of the ones I have seen, it has been eye opening just how poorly the planes have been built (and how cavalier the buiders have been about issues I've had questions about).

I was under the impression that airworthiness was what was being signed off when it got it's DAR inspection. So now, at least I know how planes like this can be flying and why I have seen so many planes that fell far short of what I expected based on the seller's representation.

As an aside, the advertisements I read are almost always a cause for some head shaking. Not a single plane I have actually gone to look at lived up to the claims of the seller. And the biggest offenders by far are people that claim to be "multi-plane builders."

I think this thread will be the turning point in my plane search. I feels like a futile undertaking to try to find a well-built RV to buy. Thanks for the education. Andy
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRV7 View Post
I think this thread will be the turning point in my plane search. I feels like a futile undertaking to try to find a well-built RV to buy. Thanks for the education. Andy
I don't think it is futile. Yes there are some that are not built to quality standards, but from looking at most builders projects that I have seen, I think the majority of builders do try to build the best plane they can.

A quality pre-buy is extra important on an experimental.
Suwanee, GA.