What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New cowling color

You'll really miss it when you fill in the 1.5 billion pin holes in that pink epoxy!:p But, it looks like you've had a lot of practice...

Out of 3 RV's I've built, only one was painted, and that was done professionally. I HATE painting, so the pinholes will be someone else's problem :p

Rusty

Rusty,

I see you have an O-320 lower cowl. Please be aware that if you're going to use fuel injection that won't work, you need an O-360 intake scoop.

Anyone know what type the new resin is? Phenolics are often pink but I haven't seen a pink epoxy before.
Jim Sharkey

Rusty,

I see you have an O-320 lower cowl. Please be aware that if you're going to use fuel injection that won't work, you need an O-360 intake scoop.

Hi Randy,

Mel's right, I'm going to start with a custom single rotor Mazda, with an O-235 as a backup plan. Either way, my goal is LSA compliant.

Cheers,
Rusty

Either way, my goal is LSA compliant.

Cheers,
Rusty

Ooooh, now there's a slippery slope. So you'll certificate it as E-AB but with numbers that make it conform to LSA? Of course speeds (top speed and stall speed) will be the issue, not weights.

Correct?

Ooooh, now there's a slippery slope. So you'll certificate it as E-AB but with numbers that make it conform to LSA? Of course speeds (top speed and stall speed) will be the issue, not weights.

Correct?

Hi Randy,

That's pretty much the plan, but it won't just be "numbers". It really will comply. I've put a lot of thought into it. Fortunately, I don't need it to comply (no medical issues), I just want it to. I only fly locally, and 138 mph max is just fine, so why not eliminate the medical hassle now if possible.

I'll keep it as light as possible, so I don't think stall speed will be an issue. As for top speed at continuously rated power, I don't expect that to be a problem either. It's easy to slow a plane down.

I won't be installing wheel pants, gear leg fairings, or probably even the cowl extender fairings, which make nice air outlets for oil and water coolers. Top speed takes a real hit when you lose all these things.

The prop will be one of the Sensenich ground adjustable props for an O-235, so I can pitch it a little finer if needed. Heck, I might not even put a spinner on it :)

One significant advantage to using the custom engine is that there's no existing maximum power rating. As the manufacturer of the engine, it will be up to me to set it.

Even the O-235 has lots of wiggle room. The -L2C was certified at 3 different max power levels, and I believe I'd be free to chose any of the 3. Naturally, I'd take the one that was at 2400 rpm, and about 105 HP ;)

I'm also counting on the pink cowling to repel FAA inspectors :)

Cheers,
Rusty

Back