What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing inspection cover size?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I have a quick question about the wing inspection covers. Are these all the same size, or different sizes for different models?

I have an RV-3B, and since it has the new wing, I would have expected the inspection cutouts would be the same size as other models. The cover I'm replacing is 7-7/8" wide, by 6 in long. The RV-3B prints seems to show these covers being made from aluminum sheet, rather than being supplied pre-punched, so maybe they are an odd size.

Is this the same size as a standard pre-punched cover for one of the other models? If so, does anyone have a part number. I've searched Van's parts page to try to find any wing inspection cover, but no luck.

Thanks,
Rusty

It just happens that I've got a wing inspection cover left over from my RV-3B kit, new and untouched. I made the ones on the plane from stock, having forgotten that these were in the package.

W-322PP, and it is indeed pre-punched along the sides and aft edge. The front, facing the spar, in not punched. It's .025 thick.

Width: 7 7/8 inches.
Length: 5 21/32 inches.

Dave
RV-3B, skinning the fuselage

Thanks Dave. That part number doesn't come up in Van's list, so I don't feel bad about not being able to find it before. It's interesting that the PP part is 11/32 shorter than mine, so the original builder probably rolled his own.

I was just trying to be lazy, since I need to replace one that was originally modified for a LRI probe. I need to order a blank panel from Van's anyway, so I was just going to throw in the cover if possible. Probably won't take 20-30 min to make one from stock anyway.

Cheers,
Rusty

Back