Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-24-2017, 08:32 AM
fugio ergo sum

Default Etiquette

As I was preparing to put my airplane back in the hangar after a flight I was approached by an out-of-town RV owner. Good, I rarely see any fellow pilots at my airport, much less an RV owner. After chatting a while, 50 feet from the airplane, I made the mistake of walking over to it and opening the canopy for avionics comparison purposes.

It started sort of gentle. I can overlook a greasy arm resting on the canopy. That can be cleaned. Then the body resting on the fuselage, actually moving the airplane. Then I notice the metal bracelet on the wrist that is resting on the plexiglass. Wow! I don't understand the need to lean. The fellow appears competent to stand upright.

I decided I just needed to put the airplane away so started opening the hangar doors. He jumps in to "help". I repeatedly said that I "have it", knowing the any help with these particular doors means a lot of time and aggravation trying to get the doors back on the tracks. Shouldn't one admonition be enough?

Then I start pulling the airplane back in the hangar. Once again, he jumps in to "help" by pushing on the spinner. Aaaagh! Once again it took four requests to get him to stop helping by abusing my airplane.

I know, I'm pretty grumpy this morning, but I just don't get it. Is it some kind of dominance display? What is wrong with just looking or if one feels the need to touch something or "help", asking before doing it. I would have thought a fellow RV owner would have thought this out a little better.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Help

Maybe he's on VAF and will read your post.
Personally any time I am near any one else's airplane, my hands go into my pockets and I ask if they want help. My rule applies to my bird too. I always say, "hands in your pockets".
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Maybe he's on VAF and will read your post.
Personally any time I am near any one else's airplane, my hands go into my pockets and I ask if they want help. My rule applies to my bird too. I always say, "hands in your pockets".
I was always told "If you can't pay for it, don't touch it."
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm with you...I don't get the need to touch things. Wingtips, props, control surfaces. How about NOT touching my baby, and for sure don't jump in to "help" unless I ask you!

Even worse are the guys who, when you politely remind them to watch their belt buckles, watches, etc. (I'm reminding them because they're about to get said item close to my girl's paint job), they get snippy about it: "I know!" or "Yeah, I got it!" said with "that tone" of voice that would have gotten me smacked by my mom.

Grrrrr.....
Old 07-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Common sense just isn't too common anymore I'm afraid... As builders/owners we have every right to be proud and protective of what we have worked so hard to build and maintain. People can think what they want of me for telling them to keep their hands off.

I guess this topic hits home with me because I was taught from a very young age to be super respectful of property and don't mess with anything that isn't yours. I expect the same of others around my possessions.
2017 Dues paid up

Last edited by rv6builder : 07-24-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM

It seems like I always need to explain that its easier for one person to push my -A model backwards due to the castering nose wheel. The Cessna types always want to push on a wing.

I always let them know its appreciated, but not required on a 1000 lb airplane
BE-200 Air Ambulance driver
Based at EKA, Northern CA
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM

It is aggravating for sure. That other people don't seem to "get it" is what is frustrating. I have had people sit on wing, lean on the wing tip or leading edge, thump a bottle cap towards the trash only to miss by a mile and hit the wing. The most popular one seems to be to sit a drink on the airplane wing or cowling. If I did those things to their airplane or automobile, I wonder how they would react. I have gotten to where I am not concerned about hurting someone's feelings in this regard. I tell folks that are not aviators to not touch anything in the hangar except concrete if you must. They usually laugh.
www.eaa242.org/
N194MH first flight on 08-26-12
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Personally any time I am near any one else's airplane, my hands go into my pockets and I ask if they want help.
I do the same thing. I try very hard not to touch anyone's airplane without an invitation to do so.

Of course, there was the day I very carefully ducked under the wing of a BD-4 to peek into the cockpit... did my admiring... then promptly stood up right into the bottom of the wing when someone startled me from behind
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM

Caught my Dad (whos also a pilot) leaning on the wing of my plane (that I'm still building). 'Bout jumped outta my skin at him, but I bit my tongue. I think I'll name my plane "Dont lean on me".
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 PM

About 12 years ago my hangar door was open, I come out of my home (hangar apartment)
And a guy 35 years old is taking photos of his kid 5 years old sitting on the horizontal stab of my luscombe, I am retired now but at the time was a houston police officer. So dumb dad got a ride to jail I let mom come get the kid. Dad got to spend some time in jail spend lots of money on legal and pay for the damage to my luscombe before I dropped charges. In Texas unlawful entry to a building is burglary and if that building is a home its a higher charge. Sorry the kid had to go through that,,, kids can't pick there parents.