What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller blast etiquette......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it is poor airport planning and management

I used to fly 1-3 times a week to CZVL, when they used to let me park my ship on the grass under the tower. It was well clear of the taxi / apron set back line.

However they made a blanket rule that all MUST park in the public parking apron. Even the STARS BO-105 Helicopters.(7300 LBS MGTOW) They routinely blast, rock and beat up every GA airframe on the apron.
I was extremely lucky to have just walked up to my pride and joy to have it sand blasted for the one and only - and last time. They upset and launched parking bollards and garbage bins. Not the fault of STARS but the moron airport managers and rule writers & readers that don't understand the needs of various elements of aviation.

I take my business elsewhere for the last several years.

self fueling etiquette

Last summer I was getting fuel at the self serve pumps where i have bought fuel for years. I was parallel parked alongside the pump when a guy taxied his taildragger directly towards the pump and within about 5 feet of my right wing. Everyone usually pulls up behind the aircraft that is fueling or those waiting in line and shut down and way more than 5 ft. I bit my tongue while this guy climbs out after shutting down and starts chatting up his partner who also taxied in but not close to my plane.
I finished my fueling but was still pissed about the guy taxiing up so close to my plane when and was winding up the hose when this guy started yelling at me to leave the hose out. I continued to wind it up and he kept yelling until I had heard enough and laid into this guy about taxiing too close to an airplane and especially one that was being fueled. He still didn't get it, didn't see a problem... Am I wrong here to think that it is poor etiquette / dangerous to pull up to another plane like that? It seemed blatant at the time.

Don Orrick N410JA

Last summer I was getting fuel at the self serve pumps where i have bought fuel for years. I was parallel parked alongside the pump when a guy taxied his taildragger directly towards the pump and within about 5 feet of my right wing. Everyone usually pulls up behind the aircraft that is fueling or those waiting in line and shut down and way more than 5 ft. I bit my tongue while this guy climbs out after shutting down and starts chatting up his partner who also taxied in but not close to my plane.
I finished my fueling but was still pissed about the guy taxiing up so close to my plane when and was winding up the hose when this guy started yelling at me to leave the hose out. I continued to wind it up and he kept yelling until I had heard enough and laid into this guy about taxiing too close to an airplane and especially one that was being fueled. He still didn't get it, didn't see a problem... Am I wrong here to think that it is poor etiquette / dangerous to pull up to another plane like that? It seemed blatant at the time.

Don Orrick N410JA

If you're the owner/pilot and what the other guy does makes you uncomfortable, there's nothing wrong with raising the issue with the other guy. It is your plane and your derriere' on the line.

I'm with the rest of you on watching your prop blast, but this one time at band camp...

I live at a small airpark and my neighbor, who is a great guy and who keeps his yard up meticulously (It is his hobby). Before we bought our house, he had a berm put up on the property line, planted shrubs, and covered it all with mulch. It looked and still looks very nice.

To access the runway, I would pull my plane out of the hanger, tow it up close to the road/taxiway and startup, with the tail pointing across my property, and away from the neighbor.

To get to the runway we would have to taxi up the road and on to the runway.

The neighbor across the street had been pressing to just taxi up his driveway across the lawn and on to the runway, the same as the prior owner of my house had always done.

Finally I agreed to do it and without thinking, I pointed the tail of the plane at the next door neighbor's house, the one with the nice yard and unknown to me, FRESH mulch on the berm. With the airplane pointing up hill, on grass, it took a LOT of power from my 180 hp leaf blower to get rolling.

Off I went for a nice flight and an hour and a half later, when I entered the pattern, my wife calls me on the radio and tells me that the neighbor wants to talk to me as soon as I land and that he was PI$$ED!

Well, I didn't have to wait long to talk to him since he was standing there, tapping his foot, hands on his hips waiting for me to shut down.

I of coursed offered to help him rake the mulch back into his flower/plant beds but he had already done it. (Good timing on my part!)

The really funny part was that the neighbor's best friend from childhood also lives on hour airpark and when I told him what I had done, he said, "Do it AGAIN!" and started laughing.

Last edited:
Had a Bonanza taxi past our open hangar (next to his) and use high power to swing the nose out thereby dusting the heck out of our hangar, plane, and everything else. THEN he gets out and grabs his POWER TUG to push it in with! Aaaagh, I was so hot I had to walk away. Some people just don't get it and have zero situational awareness.

I would not have walked away. There is something about banana owners, been cut off in the pattern more than once by them.

I know we have some rotary-wing pilots in this crowd. Just ask them if there's ANY way to land or take off without something or somebody getting blown over.

A fellow who ties his C150 down in front of our row hangar insists on taxiing into his tie down spot. He's parked on grass and blows all the grass back into the row hangar. Three row hangar owners have asked him to desist and yet he continues. Really makes one wonder...

It's a pain when you go to fly your C-150 and the tires are flat.

This is a real problem at my airport. Instructors are accustomed to doing their training briefing at the hold short line. Probably because most often they have the airport to themselves. I have waited upwards of 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the airport does not allow intersection t/o's. Even more egregious is that 500' away is a huge apron where all of the courteous pilots do their run-ups. :mad:

I don't blame the students. It's the instructors that could care less about inconveniencing someone else. However, it is a shame that they are teaching them such poor etiquette from the get go.

Larry
I was at a small airport behind a piper who was sitting on the hold short line for 5 minutes. Not on the radio. I had to shut down and pound on his door. He was talking on the phone. Oblivious.

It's a pain when you go to fly your C-150 and the tires are flat.

Well that'd be a serious federal crime. If someone was killed by your actions you can face the death penalty, so says the sign at my airport at least.

Not something to joke about there chief.

Well that'd be a serious federal crime. If someone was killed by your actions you can face the death penalty, so says the sign at my airport at least.

Don't stress too much - a C150 wouldn't have the power to taxi with two flat tyres, yet alone three! :p

In response to RV&ator post number 38. Sitting at the hold short lines. A few years ago I was sitting behind a 172 at my home field. The cessna was already sitting at the hold short lines when I left the ramp to taxi out. I did my run up and after waiting a furthur couple minutes I radioed them and ask if they could pull forward to the round out area just across the runway letting them know I was ready to go. It was a student and CFI. The CFI fired back at me to just be patient. Really peeved me off. They had been sitting there by this time maybe 7 minutes so I didn't think my request was unreasonable but all I could do was sit and wait. After another couple of minutes they finally took off. The round about area straight across was perfect for this very kind of thing. I felt his student that day was taught a bad lesson.

Prop blast: Like many, I've witnessed it and I'm sure I've probably done it too. I always pull my RV to an area where it's not going to be an issue.

In any situation, a little courtesy goes a long way.

I of coursed offered to help him rake the mulch back into his flower/plant beds but he had already done it. (Good timing on my part!)

The really funny part was that the neighbor's best friend from childhood also lives on hour airpark and when I told him what I had done, he said, "Do it AGAIN!" and started laughing.

You P-Mag racy guys...... My My, I understand that so much power can cause problems, suggest we all switch back to Slicks ;)

My name is not chief, I find that offensive and racist. I suggested doing nothing just stated a fact.
Operating a aircraft in a reckless manner as this 150 owner is apparently doing is also a criminal act. What if he?s blowing fod into someone?s pitot tubes or there?s a airplane with exposed parts because of maintenance in those hangars?
Some people just love playing the internet police.

My name is not chief, I find that offensive and racist. I suggested doing nothing just stated a fact.
Operating a aircraft in a reckless manner as this 150 owner is apparently doing is also a criminal act. What if he’s blowing fod into someone’s pitot tubes or there’s a airplane with exposed parts because of maintenance in those hangars?
Some people just love playing the internet police.

Don't play dumb, or the victim.

It's not unreasonable to remind folks that intentionally sabotaging an aircraft is a serious felony when they joke about it.

And Chief isn't a name, it's a title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back