What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

solid wire heim joint

albertaflyer

What is the general consensus on using an ACS A-820 solid wire throttle cable? I'm not sure if I trust the "3 jaw" heim joint that clamps to the end (kinda like a drill chuck). If it were to come lose the solid cable end would pull right out.

data point

My friend just went through this thought process on his Acrosport...it appears that the pin vise will work but only time will tell...

It does seem to lock on fine. As you said, only time will tell. It's not like there is any force that is being applied, as it's only a throttle body control arm. Nevertheless, not sure if I like the possible scenarios if it were to pull out.:eek:

I know mine is not an RV, but I had the same concerns with the pin clamp, so two things I thought about before deciding on cables....1) go with a threaded end 2) use opposing "pull" springs onthe throttle arm to middle the throttle if the cable breaks....theres a long thread here on Vaf about that worth reading, and springs are used on some production models as well as for all engine control cables, depending on what you want the limp home mode to be.

In the end, I bit the bullet and went threaded for all, and will eventually go with springs as well for double safety, but havent engineered that yet.

Back