What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powering Stratux

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I built the ADS-B marvel, the Stratux and it works (almost, I just have a small problem with Fltplan's GPS on Nexus but this belongs to another thread). So far I powered Stratux via the USB plug located under the avionics shelf but it is in competition with my Nexus tablet which is also powered this way. As the whole kit will end-up on the fuel tank where the antenna seems to work well, I am thinking of hacking the power out of the ELT. There is an easy access to power from the buzzer but the conductor seems a bit thin to suck up to 2.5 amps (and even more if I end up using 2 dongles on Stratux to solve my GPS issue). As my annual inspection is looming, it's a good time to figure this out. Any suggestion from you guys who have gone more in depth into the circuitry?

As I recall the 12V socket stays hot even with the master off. Be careful to not leave something plugged that will drain your battery when parked.

I have the D-180 configuration. So, to gain 12v power, cut off with the master switch, where do I go to add a new 12v power wire to power up anything inclusive of the Statux or ADS-B out equipment that will draw 3 - 5 amps?

I also have the D-180 panel. I simply moved the wire feeding the 12V power point from the hot side of the master relay to the switched side, and replaced the 12V power point with a dual USB power plug. Now it's switched on by the master.

I'm sure there are other suitable ways to do it, but that's what I did.

If you are interested in finding a convenient power source in the vicinity of the instrument panel, there is a spare unused +12 volt source on the back of the AV-50001 switch & fuse module on pin 6 labeled "Extra" on the prints which is powered off by the master switch. I needed an extra power source so just added a wire to pin 6 of the connector that plugs into the back of the switch and fuse module ... presto instant additional power.

Caution: The Extra circuit is unprotected ... so you will need to install an inline fuse for circuit protection. A couple of years back I called Van's and verified the trace on the module was rated to 5 amps even though it is shown on the prints at 2 amps .... (visually looking at the "Extra" trace on the module it appears to be as wide as the traces used for the 5 amp circuits).

Happy flying,

Last edited:
To convert 12v to 5v for my Stratux, I am using this converter from DigiKey. It's inexpensive ($8.50) and no noise in the radio.

DigiKey P/N 1597-1243-ND

It is a Speed Technology, CPT-C5 converter.

Jim Butcher

Back