What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Brain fart.....

ezetom

So after checking/ re timing my magneto to 25 degrees, and my lightspeed plasma (with hall effect sensor)... I went to take off was down significantly on power.. long story short, I timed the lightspeed 25 degrees too far advanced!! (Brain fart in setting it up with the engine in the same position as timing the mag)..

Anyway,, what do you think the odds are that I damaged something? In total I ran it at full power for about 30-45 seconds tying to trouble shoot things, and played with the prop a bit (as I just had it off to replace the ring gear and alt belt) and the mixture...

I set the electronic ignition back to the correct position, and it seems to run decent.. but.. time will tell I guess

You are not the first to do this. I don?t believe the short period of time you operated like this did any harm.

Carl

I test flew an RV-10 that had the ignition advanced 45 degrees. Everything ran fine on the ground, with temps seemingly a little higher than normal for a new engine, but not show stopping.

On the first take off, the CHT's approached 475 degrees and were climbing arher rapidly by the time I reached the departure end of the airport. I reduced power to idle and nursed it around for a landing. Turning off the electronic ignition immediately solved the mystery as well.

As far as I know, the engine is still flying on that airplane. I think you should be Ok with your ground run.

Vic

I had a friend with a beautiful Glasair IIS and on it's maiden flight the engine grenaded on the downwind from installing his EI at 25 deg's instead of 0. He was lucky enough to have an early morning empty airport and landed on a Xwind taxiway... And into the dirt. Not a lot of damage to the plane. The plugs were melted. I don't recall what damage the engine sustained. Note: This was a 10:1 IO-360.

So after checking/ re timing my magneto to 25 degrees, and my lightspeed plasma (with hall effect sensor)... I went to take off was down significantly on power.. long story short, I timed the lightspeed 25 degrees too far advanced!! (Brain fart in setting it up with the engine in the same position as timing the mag)..

Anyway,, what do you think the odds are that I damaged something? In total I ran it at full power for about 30-45 seconds tying to trouble shoot things, and played with the prop a bit (as I just had it off to replace the ring gear and alt belt) and the mixture...

I set the electronic ignition back to the correct position, and it seems to run decent.. but.. time will tell I guess

Look at the piston edges. If they are chipped, you have had detention. Likely not.

ok

Ill pull the plugs and take a peek in with the borescope...

fingers are crossed everything is ok

Back