What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP wiring question...

kbalch

Well Known Member
I'm currently working on the AP wiring in my right wing prior to riveting the bottom skins next week. My fuselage kit shipped today, so I'm motivated to get the last of the wing kit done. :)

In any case, looking at plans page 19-05 Figure 2 (in the upper right corner) at the diagram of connector C407P. Pin 8 correlates to wire C411 (wht/blk). So far, so good. The question arises when one looks at the corresponding connector on the roll servo harness and notices that position 8 is empty.

What is C411's purpose and why is it being dead-ended? I tried Van's, but we're outside of their limited tech support hours and I'm hoping to wrap this up before Monday. Any ideas?

Thanks!

OK, I just talked to Stein and got a very thorough answer from one of his guys.

The bottom line is twofold:

Firstly, the WH-00013 harness that runs from the wing root out to the servo is generic and meant to be used with each AP manufacturer's servos. The WH-00119 roll servo harness is Garmin-specific and the wire in question is unused.

Secondly, though that wire also exists in the fuselage harness, it's currently unused there, too, and labeled (on Stein's master wiring schematic) as "future AP data wire". There's no telling what functions it might someday support, but it does nothing today.

So, conundrum resolved! Onward...

The wing wiring harnesses are made to work with Garmin or Dynon so depending on your setup there will be extra wires. The main fuselage harness will also have some extras.

Back