- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Default That will be awhile

The plane isn't flying yet so it will be awhile. Kind of neat seeing targets on the screen when turned on.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Mike, let us know how the compliance test with the FAA comes out, when you get a chance.
+1. . . . .
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Default uAvionix EchoUAT + SportSX

I installed the EchoUAT with the GRT Sport SX EFIS. It took a while to get the settings right, but all works fabulously!! I couldn't be happier. I am using the transponder "sniffing" feature with a GTX-327, so the RV-12 performance should be the same.

And the FAA Compliance Results

Full write-up and more details:
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1373
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1375
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1378 (lower Part of writeup)
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com

Last edited by bullojm1 : 12-05-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Default pin out question

I must be missing something, but I cannot discern the pin out from the install manual for the connections to my GRT HS units. It shows a diagram for the "MiniX" only as far as I can tell.

Connections to the 430W and 327 are clear except there appears some question if shielded wire is called for or not, it's shown in the diagrams, but dismissed in the text.

Last question, I have been feeding Navworx 600 thru pin 14 (1.5 amp max switched power) on the GTX327 and for convenience see no reason to change this.... except it probably ought to be on its own fuse or breaker.
Shane?? Anyone?
Thanks, Tim Andres
Old 01-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
I must be missing something, but I cannot discern the pin out from the install manual for the connections to my GRT HS units. It shows a diagram for the "MiniX" only as far as I can tell.

Connections to the 430W and 327 are clear except there appears some question if shielded wire is called for or not, it's shown in the diagrams, but dismissed in the text.

Last question, I have been feeding Navworx 600 thru pin 14 (1.5 amp max switched power) on the GTX327 and for convenience see no reason to change this.... except it probably ought to be on its own fuse or breaker.
Shane?? Anyone?
Thanks, Tim Andres
Tim,

We reference the MiniX simply as an example. Your HS has serial ports. The EchoUAT pin# 3 needs to be connected to an available serial port on your HS, preferably a high speed port. Then you need to set that serial port to ADS-B In and 115200 for the baud rate or speed. We don't specific the actual port as it can be different depending on your connection and if you are using a serial port combiner as well. It just needs to be connected to any available Serial Port In, you won't use the Out, in your set up.

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Shane@uAvionix : 01-09-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Default Canít use pin 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
Tim,

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps.
Shane,
My setup is a bit different, using AFS 5600 (display), GTN 750 (GPS position) & GTX 32 (squawk), but from what I gather the wiring would be the same. So, why canít I use pin 4 to get a remote feed of the squawk rather than relying on the monitor to pick up RF replies to radar interrogations? It seems the system would be more robust with a direct (hardwired) feed where the Echo always had the squawk info whether being pinged by radar or not. What am I missing? And, would the answer change if I use the uAvionix GPS option instead of the GTN 750 for GPS position?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Okay, I think I just answered my own question. Pin 4 is the inbound Com 1 which needs 115K baud because that’s the transmit rate on outbound Com 1 (pin 3). The GTX 32/327 can only transmit at 57K baud, so unless you want to slow down the data transfer to the displays to an unacceptable(?) level of 57K baud, you’re stuck using the monitor mode to get all the squawk info from the 32/327.

SO, what happens when the FAA’s nextgen system is fully implemented and all of the radar stations get decommissioned? No interrogation means no reply, so you’re no longer 2020 compliant. Sounds like the ECHO needs a third Com port to be a viable long term solution, unless paired with the uAvionix gps position source at 115k baud in order to enable the remote function rather than the monitor function. In other words, the only way to hardwire the 32/327 to the ECHO is to forego the 430/750 as a gps position source and instead use the uAvionix add-on gps. Is that correct or is 57K ample for displaying traffic and weather?

Last edited by sbrault : 02-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Default power supply

Tim, the uAvionix units consume very low power. (see their spec sheet) So, you should be fine using the power connection previously used by the Navworx. When you get time down the road, a separate breaker (pullable) might be in order. I like to be able to isolate and shut off a particular piece of avionics if need be. Send me a PM if you need more details.
Have a great Sunday!

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks Nick, I have it installed and did feed from the 327 ala Navworx just using an in-line fuse, itís working fine with a good report card.
Now I have an orphaned ADSB fault light left over from the NW install, Iíll have to find another purpose for it, maybe low water on the cappachino machine.
Tim Andres
Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Uavionix and GRT

"Tim,

We reference the MiniX simply as an example. Your HS has serial ports. The EchoUAT pin# 3 needs to be connected to an available serial port on your HS, preferably a high speed port. Then you need to set that serial port to ADS-B In and 115200 for the baud rate or speed. We don't specific the actual port as it can be different depending on your connection and if you are using a serial port combiner as well. It just needs to be connected to any available Serial Port In, you won't use the Out, in your set up.

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps."

Shane;
In the above post you seem to say that the echo uat pin 3 is adsb traffic output but the uAvionix Echo UAT install and pilots guide sec. 7.5 shows pin 5 (com2 TX) as GDL90, 115200 baud.

My question - one of many - which pin is the traffic/wx sent on, from the echo to my GRT HXr. pin 3 or pin 5????

Other question (for now) Does the echo/uat output the gps data on either pin 3(com1 TX) or pin 5(com2TX) that I can connect to a serial in on my HXr??

Thank you
2018 dues exempt but paid anyhow
F100,A7D,A10,F16,
Fokker,Boeing,McDonnell-Douglas