What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling install/removal during hinging processes.

DCBrown198

Patron
I've replaced the 1001Q lower hinges with solid plate.

I've riveted the 1001N upper cowling hinges to the cowling per the plans and I'm about to rivet the 1001P side hinges to the lower cowl. (All parts of Step 8 on 47-6)

Follow-on steps refer to checking/marking/cutting the side cowling split lines, which involves installing/removing upper and lower cowls in this process.

OK...unless I go ahead and jump forward in the plans and make the cutout in the upper cowl for the hinge pin retainer, how does one insert/remove the upper cowl hinge pins with the lower cowl in place? Any tricks in this process?

Thanks,

David

Why are you concerned about jumping ahead to that step (upper cut out for hinge access)? It needs to get done at some point and I don't see how it would negatively impact the effort of cutting the horizontal seam. I am sure it was a simple oversight in preparing the instructions.

Larry

Last edited:
Did most of you switch over to the SS pins at this point in the fitting process?. Those aluminum pins bend like coat hangar wire.

Back