What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O360 5.4 hours after OH

dmattmul

Well Known Member
I thought I would post this as VAF has a great group of engine knowledge out there. I'm looking to purchase a O360 that now has 26.5 hours on it. The last annual the compression numbers where, 73,69,75,74 over 80 I'm assuming cold cylinders 1-4. The 69 worries me, any known issue out there. I'd get it tested again for the pre-buy if I decide to proceed just did not want to throw good money after bad. Any thoughts...... Thanks

guessing

those compression check numbers were at 5 hrs??? if so, one low could indicate rings not yet seated - or a lot of other [more bad-type] things.
Get a new check - with BORESCOPE pics. Compression check is a very broad indicator, from a time when we had little else. Still required for condition inspection, but borescope with experienced eyes-on is a whole lot more helpful
... and remember: as soon as you close the engine up at manufacture or overhaul, you start gambling on when you get to do it again.

Back