What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersink forward rows of F-972?

Paul B

I thought I was getting ready to "roll the canoe" until I realized the significance of Section A-A, DWG 28. I was supposed to dimple the firewall flange and the 2 forward rows of the FWD bottom skin, and countersink the bottom stiffener of the firewall. Instead I have countersunk the fwd rows of the bottom skin, leaving the under-laying bottom firewall flange and stiffener untouched. The skin is .040. The side flanges of the firewall where the thinner side skins attach are dimpled.

Has anyone else done this? Is this acceptable? I really don't want to buy a new FWD bottom skin! Of course I always seem to discover my boo boos at the start of the weekend when Vans is closed.

The forward 2 rows of the bottom fuselage skin should be dimpled. Lots of vibration and strength needed at the firewall and floor. Definitely need to run this by Van's, but I would probably replace the skin.

Follow-up

Just wanted to share a short version of Van's response should anyone else make this mistake. Countersinking the front rows of the F-972 skin would not make the aircraft un-airworthy. However, some of these rivets would work loose after a while and once some loosened, others would follow, resulting in a continuing cycle of repairs. They recommended a new FWD bottom skin, and I have ordered one.

Back