What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 2500 to GRT EIS 4000

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Has any one replaced their AFS 2500 with a GRT EIS and used some of the exisisting AFS sensors such as RPM, Oil temp, Carb heat, etc ? (not the CHT, EGT) If you did and can share what you had to do to make them work I would be very interested in the details.

Jeff - if you pull your AFS 2500 and find some of the senders won't work with your GRT, I'm in the market for spares (both senders and the AFS 2500 display and CPU). Might be able to help reduce your cost of going to the EIS4000.

The AF-2500 will output the GRT EIS data format, a number of people used them with the Chelton EFIS screens in place of the EIS.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

The AF-2500 will output the GRT EIS data format, a number of people used them with the Chelton EFIS screens in place of the EIS.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob - a follow-up question based on the info you provided above. I don't want to misinterpret so this really is a request for clarification.

Are you saying the AFS-2500 will output serial RS232 data which would allow that data to be displayed on an EFIS? In our instance we have an AFS-2500 (prior correspondence with you has been so positive that I'm wanting to stay with this unit - thank you!) in the panel as well as a GRT Horizon HS EFIS. It would be quite a bonus to be able to display the engine data on the EFIS.

If I'm not misinterpreting your statement above, how does one make this work?

Thanks in advance for your helpful reply.

Rob - a follow-up question based on the info you provided above. I don't want to misinterpret so this really is a request for clarification.

Are you saying the AFS-2500 will output serial RS232 data which would allow that data to be displayed on an EFIS? In our instance we have an AFS-2500 (prior correspondence with you has been so positive that I'm wanting to stay with this unit - thank you!) in the panel as well as a GRT Horizon HS EFIS. It would be quite a bonus to be able to display the engine data on the EFIS.

If I'm not misinterpreting your statement above, how does one make this work?

Thanks in advance for your helpful reply.

We have not actually tried it to a GRT EFIS, it does work to a Chelton so I think it will work. It should be pretty easy to try, connect the serial port TXD and configure the serial port in the AF-2500.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Wow - this is something I wish I had known a year ago when planning the panel upgrade currently underway. I'll give it a whirl and see how this works. This opens up some good possibilities!

Thanks for sharing this info, Rob.

Back