What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank attach bracket positioning

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

On my QB fuselage, I'm getting ready to bolt in my main gear weldments for good, and I'm wondering about exact placement/match drilling of the fuselage-side tank attach bracket. In my head, it seems that you'd need the wings trial-fitted to locate these precisely.

Are these mounted at the wing-fitting stage, and if so, does the weldment get in the way for bolt access? I did a pretty thorough search but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I made the brackets when the instructions said to, but held off on bending them (beating them with a hammer) and match drilling to the fuselage until the wings were mounted for the first time. It worked well and there was no interference with the gear leg weldment (9A).

Thank you, Kurt. That gives me a green light to bolt the weldments in. I glued those spacer washers in place last night, and removed powder coating in the close-tolerance bolt holes, so I think I'm good to go. Just need to check to make sure the holes for the AN brake fittings are the proper size.

Back