What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pic of area beneath wing gap fairing

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I'm trying to get an idea of how large this area is, for access to plugs and such. Does anyone have a picture of wing root/fuselage junction with the gap fairing removed? Thanks!

Put wings on today on friends 9A and there is not much if any to put hands in to work on. Bottom has none since the fuselage skin covers the lower wing. Top front maybe 1 inch and trailing edge has a couple. Fit all before you stab wing for final fit.;)
Scott
RV 8A

Just enough to do all necessary connections and inspections. You could easily stick a mirror in there or a camera. Or both :)

More pictures please

I though I read that someone put fuel filters on each side in the wing root area. Looks like it would make servicing them a b..., er difficult.

In front of the spar there is enough room, behind the spar where I assume you want to use plugs there is not enough room to manipulate any plug-in for electrical or pitot static. At the widest the gap between fuse and wing skin is about 1 inch between the front and rear spars. You would have to place the wing next to the fuse or just get it started, plug in your connections and then install the wing where you cannot get to the plugs anymore unless you are removing a wing.
I ended up just coiling extra wire on my wing root and running them as I joined the wings. Took less than a day to terminate the wires from the wings and I have less connections to possibly go bad.

I have finished wiring my wings with the Molex 150 waterproof plugs. After a lot of thought about point of failure, I figured if one of those plugs had a problem, I'd probably have to take my wings off to fix it because of the small gap.

I have reconsidered and now plan to rewire the wings with enough wire to pull through a hole in the fuselage and tie into a terminal strip under the floor pan as many others have done.

The fuel sender wire is not a problem because the gap is plenty wide in that area.

The first time I put the wings on, I left a lot of extra wires and ran them all the way to their final termination point.

When I had to take the airplane apart and bring it home for the engine swap, I cut the wires and installed knife disconnects covered in shrink tubing. Worked great!

I though I read that someone put fuel filters on each side in the wing root area. Looks like it would make servicing them a b..., er difficult.

I know of one guy that has filters and pumps in that area, and I was going to do the same but decided against it for exactly this reason. I put my filter in the run along the spar inside the fuse, and I stretched the standard boost pump housing to hold dual pumps (no engine-driven pump), one from each wing. I hated to give up the space inside the cabin but I did not have a "warm fuzzy feeling" about maintenance in the wing root area.

Great input, and excellent photos, Vlad. :)

Bill, I like the knife disconnect idea, and the heat shrink would both insulate and ensure the connecter would never come undone. I figure that every wire that's either shielded or coax will be a continuous run all the way to the panel (with the exception of the nav/strobe wiring, which will first go to a terminal strip under the seat ribs). But the knife connectors will be perfect for the landing light, stall warning buzzer, etc.

Cut off connectors...went to terminal strips

I have finished wiring my wings with the Molex 150 waterproof plugs. After a lot of thought about point of failure, I figured if one of those plugs had a problem, I'd probably have to take my wings off to fix it because of the small gap.

I have reconsidered and now plan to rewire the wings with enough wire to pull through a hole in the fuselage and tie into a terminal strip under the floor pan as many others have done.

The fuel sender wire is not a problem because the gap is plenty wide in that area.

I did the same with Packards three years ago, and cut them off just two weekends ago and did strips with VHB tape on the floor. I could not find a way to mate the connectors at the root without +6" of extra wire, which seemed silly....

Hmm?adding a couple more terminal strips is certainly a possibility. If I do use the knife connectors, I'll just make sure that they can be plugged/unplugged within the fuselage rather than the wing root.

Does anyone have the Andair gascolators installed between the tank and fuselage and a picture of it?

Regards Knut

Back