What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting access for forward top skin

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Can the fuel vent lines inside the fuselage be put in toward the very end of the build? I've got the lines all pre-bent and fitted, and now they're out of the plane in storage. They look like they'd really be in the way for riveting the top skin.

Also, is it best to put in the plastic housings for the NACA ventilation ducts AFTER this riveting operation for best clearance?

Build is going well; interior painting is largely complete, and baggage floors/seat pans are riveted in place. I routed a nice section of empty conduit beneath, just in case additional wires need to be run later.

After bending the vent lines, I taped off the ends and the vents to keep stuff out of them. I then left them in place but not connected and riveted around them. They were only secured after the foreskin was riveted in place.

I used cap screws and platenuts to secure things in the footwell because they were easier to install than Phillips screws.

After the side skins were rivited in place I used proseal to secure the NACA vents in place. Duck tape was used to hold them until the proseal cured.

Put the vent lines in now. If you need to move them, you can undo the cushion clamps and temporarily hold them out of the way. Definitely put a socket head bolt on the upper corner cushion clamp because you will never be able to put a phillips head screw driver back up there once the top skin is in place.

Thanks, guys…you're very helpful as always! :) I'll go with a nut plate on the upper corner gusset. It'll feel good to at least have the lines in the plane instead of sitting in the spare bedroom/aviation warehouse.

I am also at the point that I need to soon rivet that "dratted" top skin on.

Can anyone point out things they missed or discovered later that they really, really, really wished that they had done before they riveted the skin on?

All tips and advice appreciated.

Can anyone point out things they missed or discovered later that they really, really, really wished that they had done before they riveted the skin on?

If you're building a slider the best advice I can give is simply to make sure that, other than the windscreen and windscreen fairings, the airplane is ready to fly before riveting on the forward top skin. There's pretty much no reason NOT to make those the absolute last things you do.

Front top skin

I mounted my lightspeed electronic ignition box higher between panel ribs than I should have. Think about access to all those electronics from upside down. Make them as accessible as possible fro below.

And if you're bolting, instead of pinning, your tip-up on, make sure I you do that before you install the forward deck. I have held off just in case I need to pull the canopy at the airport, but if you're sure you won't need to, this will save a bit of time on your back trying to get the bolts in.

Put platenuts on the inside of the firewall to hold the batterybox. The plans show the platenuts on the box but if you ever need to remove it, someone will have to do it from the footwell of the cockpit and my wife will not be available.

Look at the FwF drawings. You need to add platenuts to hold the oil pressure line and oil breather line.

There is also a hole you need to drill below the battery box, next to the contactors to feed you master wire into the cockpit.

There are a few more but I don't recall all of them.

If you're building a slider the best advice I can give is simply to make sure that, other than the windscreen and windscreen fairings, the airplane is ready to fly before riveting on the forward top skin. There's pretty much no reason NOT to make those the absolute last things you do.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion - engine start and all. There are just too many last-minute things to check or modify under there before it's ready to fly.

Back