What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior rivet question

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I've pored over the plans and I can't seem to find the rivet spec for the covers that extend upward from the spar?those interior channel pieces right above the holes for the rudder cable.

I know they're pull rivets, but are they the smooth, hardened rivets or the ones that have the grip-length line halfway down the shank? Thanks!!

If memory serves, they are LP4-3 rivets. I do remember I had to hunt the plans to find the call out.

Thanks, Nate. That was my hunch. I'll do a plans deep-dive one last time to try to find the spec. It's all this hunting around that slows down the build!!!

Doug, if you are referring to the f-704k cap strip, that is a tough one to find.... See section H-H on drawing 23. It is an LP4-3.

Resist the urge to rivet that on now. It's a good place to fish wiring and pitot, or put lights. It can be riveted on at any time.

Doug, if you are referring to the f-704k cap strip, that is a tough one to find.... See section H-H on drawing 23. It is an LP4-3.

Resist the urge to rivet that on now. It's a good place to fish wiring and pitot, or put lights. It can be riveted on at any time.
Thanks, Derek. Great advice on holding off installation. The urge to just finish one small section is so strong sometimes!! At least they're already drilled, deburred and painted.

Another vote for holding off on installing them. I'm not going to install mine until I get the wings on at the airport. You should get more light into the spar-attach hole area with them off, and that'll make it easier to line up the wings for the final time.

My -9A is ready to go to the airport next week, and that is about the only piece of the structure I have left over.

I've got a special piece of aluminum vent tubing with one end crimped down that I used an untold number of times to fish wires through that very spot, because like you I was in a hurry to finish something. :D

Back