What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Lock

Cbsbama

I'm New Here
I recently purchased a completed 9A with tip up canopy. Previous builder did not want a lock on the canopy. However, I would like to be able to secure items in the cabin. Any ideas on good locking methods? I would like something low profile similar to a drink machine lock or or the lock they use on late model Harley Davidson motorcycles. Just not sure how to make it work. Help?

Drill A Hole...

Thru the part of the lever that's outside of the fuselage. Fasten a padlock thru the hole - it keeps the lever from pivoting inward and unlatching the canopy. To keep the lock from nicking the paint, use shrink-tube around the body. Cheap and effective (for keeping honest people out).
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Also consider whether you had rather have something pilfered from an unlocked canopy vs having to replace a locked but smashed canopy......

I use a very lightweight padlock on the tipup latch (as described in the post above) that lets honest folks know they are not welcome inside the plane but can be easily cut by a thief who is determined to get in the plane...one way or another.

I don't want to build another canopy.

Last edited:
I installed a slightly bigger than plans lift angle, and another piece of angle upside down underneath it. Drill a hole and padlock the two angles together. Dunno if it'll keep people out though, as mine isn't flying yet....

On mine the "lock" is about the same as a luggage lock. And it's the ONLY key to my plane since I have all toggles and no keyed ignition switch.

So my $3 lock secures it all!

Canopy lock

I went down to the hardware store and purchased a cabinet lock. I had to make a device so that it could hook onto the push tube holding my canopy closed. It did not take long and looks good.

I used the JDAir latch, which has a slot that makes for a perfect locking mechanism. The keyed barrel came with the ACS keyed starter switch.
I like having just one key for the door and starter.

Check out the Canopy section of my web site.

IMG_2981-M.jpg

IMG_2982-M.jpg

IMG_2983-M.jpg

IMG_3251-M.jpg

I used the JD Air Latch, too. And I did a similar thing as my buddy, Bruce. Only I used a simple pin on the lock mechanism, instead. The pin goes through an existing hole in the latch handle, preventing it from opening. So there's little modification required. But either way will work great!

P1030525%20(Small).JPG

P1030526%20(Small).JPG

With the latch spring in place, and a pin guide that I fabricated:

P1030530%20(Small).JPG

I also posted a couple of short YouTube videos, showing the action using the key in the lock.

Less than 1 minute on this one: https://youtu.be/LbyIsOIzzVE

This one is only 27 seconds: https://youtu.be/hWpsAXrdnCQ

More pictures and details of how I did this are on this page:
Canopy Latch Lock

To lock or not to lock... that is the question....

The thought of a broken canopy (by a would be thief) away from home sends chills down my spine. You would be totally screwed!! Let them steal the radios and insurance can buy me knew ones. At least I'd be able to fly home. I'd rather build a new panel at home than a new canopy somewhere across the country!

In reality, most of the times I've been away from home overnight, I can get the airplane inside an FBO hanger. The extra overnight fee is cheap "insurance". If not, I park under the nearest ramp light.

Back