What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

z-bar extrusion

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Hi All

Does anyone have a source for aluminum z-bar extrusion in the greater Toronto Area. Appears AC Spruce does not carry this. I'm looking for 1/2" height.

Thanks.

thanks.

My only concern with what I see on McMaster is the absence of an inside radius.
But appreciate the lead.

Disagree

I would disagree with your premise that the mcmaster z channel cannot be used in our aircraft. That would be entirely dependent on the particular application, and there are places where ?non aerospace? materials can safely be used in an experimental aircraft.

That being said, the OP did not indicate a specific application or structural loading...

for the console quad

I would disagree with your premise that the mcmaster z channel cannot be used in our aircraft. That would be entirely dependent on the particular application, and there are places where ?non aerospace? materials can safely be used in an experimental aircraft.

That being said, the OP did not indicate a specific application or structural loading...

Hi Gents

To be clear on 2 points, I have made an effort to stick with aviation grade on everything. And the specific application in this case is for the side offset of the throttle quad on the centre console I'm building.

The inner radius is required from my perspective because the forces in most cases may be mild but can be significant during turbulance when holding the throttle. I'm also looking at the occasional unintentional forces or impact during entry and exit. There will be forces in all directions. At the moment we are looking to press the angles in on an 063 plate. The z-bar would have been much more simple but we just got access to a quality press/brake yesterday afternoon. As a single plate to support all 4 bolts of the quad we get a lot more stability than the z-bars but it is now a fallback position.

Thanks.

Back