What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing stand plans/ideas?

DoctorDan

Patron
I got a surprise email from Van's saying that my RV-14A QB wings are ready to ship, thanks to another builder's cancellation. (I wasn't expecting mine till August/September). So now I am scrambling to build a nice wing stand for them. I searched around VAF to find information about plans for a wing stand to no avail. Any suggestions regarding where to look for plans? Any special features you incorporated into your wing stands? Thanks!

I used the Mouser plans for my RV-10 wing cradle and they have worked well.

The one addition I made was to add a short 2x4 over each main spar, attached to the cradle with 2 carriage bolts. This clamps the spar and prevents the wings from shifting in the cradle when you are working on them or moving the cradle. I did this based on a posting I found while researching for cradle plans by a builder who had a wing shift such that the spar end dropped off of the cradle, resulting in a damaged wing leading edge.

And whatever you do, definitely wheels!
I use padded cutout plywood in the shape of the leading edges on one end. I suspect suspended carpet probably would have rotted away by now as long as my -8 wings have been in the stand.

I'm with Scott. My wings have been sitting for awhile now. I just used some leftover MDF that I had laying around for the outboard end support. I cut it in the shape of the leading edge, then I used pipe insulation over the edge for cushioning and protection.

I used the Mouser Plans as well. They are a terrific design and work well. I'll go a little further than Scott and say that without wheels the stand would be almost worthless.

One modification I made was to shorten the stand to 9' for the RV-14. This allows for the landing light hole not to be in the "sling" at the end of the wing. See below:

z1iiu.jpg

Thanks for all these reponses, these are great suggestions. Will definitely use wheels. Sure hoping that my wings don't sit on the stands long enough for the carpet to wear out!

And whatever you do, definitely wheels!
I use padded cutout plywood in the shape of the leading edges on one end. I suspect suspended carpet probably would have rotted away by now as long as my -8 wings have been in the stand.

I used a stand that had carpet at both ends when I got it but REMOVED the carpet and used webbing from a cheap tow strap. Been working great for the past year.

Thanks for all these reponses, these are great suggestions. Will definitely use wheels. Sure hoping that my wings don't sit on the stands long enough for the carpet to wear out!

Luckily, modern carpet is made from synthetic materials and ain't gonna rot or wear out in your lifetime in a wing stand application.

Finished my stands!

Thanks everybody for the very helpful input. I went to Home Depot's aviation department and got all the parts I needed. Followed your instructions with modifications for RV-14A wing length. Stole some old carpet scraps from my son's closet -- beautiful light blue shag. Will see how it works later this week when the wings arrive. Really excited! Thanks again!

IMG_1699b.jpeg

IMG_1700b.jpeg

Last edited:
And this is what it looks like with the wings on it...definitely happy that I used some nice locking casters as my workshop floor is not completely level.

IMG_1743.jpg

Thanks for all the tips. I built my stand and used tow straps also because it's what i had at hand. Happy with how it came out. Also used the Mouser plans and shortened to about 9'2". Straps avoid the lens holes.
IMG_6696-small.jpeg

Last edited:
Back