What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro Seal Substitute

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Has anyone used JB Weld or some type of Gorilla glue instead of pro seal for attaching the foam ribs in the trim tab and elevator?

I used JB Weld on another project and it was very nice to work with versus pro seal.

3M VHB tape

I used the VHB double sided tape that Van's sell, and they also mention (somewhere) that this product is a substitute for pro-seal in the applications you talk about.

I used the VHB double sided tape that Van's sell, and they also mention (somewhere) that this product is a substitute for pro-seal in the applications you talk about.

Thanks I have some for the trailing edge but did not realize it is a substitute for the foam ribs.

I am pretty sure the VHB tape has never been approved for installing the foam
ribs.
I would strongly recommend against it.
I wouldn't recommend using silicone adheasive either.

Pro Seal is a brand name of Mil Spec Polysulfide. Any product that meets the same Mil Spec would be good.

I would not recommend any substitute that does not meet the same Mil Spec especially in any moving aircraft surface.

I keep a quart kit in the freezer and thaw it out for use. Mix it on cheap throwaway dollar store cutting board plastic with a bondo squeegee. I?ll have new stuff for tanks but for everything else this works great.

I have been using hotel type card keys for years to spread epoxy, bondo, and pro seal. They work great.

I think you're right

I am pretty sure the VHB tape has never been approved for installing the foam
ribs.
I would strongly recommend against it.
I wouldn't recommend using silicone adheasive either.

Looking back through the plans & store info on the VHB tape it isn't mentioned specifically for the trim tab ribs, just as a substitute for pro-seal on the rudder or elevator trailing edges. I must've just assumed at the time it would be OK. As it is I was going to do another trim tab (mainly because I wasn't 100% happy with the trailing edge), and as I'm in the middle of building tanks I've got pro-seal everywhere so a little more won't hurt.

The only problem with hotel keys is that the pile I have just reminds me of all the layovers ... !

Back