What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Canyon

frankh

Well Known Member
Morning all,

Going down to the GC at Spring Break from the Northwest (Oregon)

Intend to be tied down for a few days.

Where is the place to land and tie down and not get charged an arm and a leg??

friends are picking us up in arental car after flying down commercially.

Frank

Clark Memorial Airport?

I had really good experiences landing at Clark Memorial Airport in Williams, AZ. BUT, I haven't been there in a couple of years and I see the reviews have plummeted on AirNav (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCMR). Nonetheless, I would consider it for your circumstances. Sounds like you might want to buy your fuel elsewhere, however,

Valle or Flagstaff

http://www.airnav.com/airport/40G

I would second John's suggestion- Valle is a good stop. Norm is the airport manager/FBO there and attends our Flagstaff EAA Meetings on a regular basis. Great guy. Also maybe possable to get you a free tiedown in Flagstaff airport on an vacant friends tiedown spot- give me some warning as the departure date nears if you are thinking FLG...

GC trip is on

Good morning,

Planning on flying to flagstaff or vail on the 21st March and staying for a week while we hike the big ditch.

Had a potential offer a while back for a free tie down from Brad a while back but just following up to see if there are any better deals..free tiedown and cheap fuel from the local gas station?.anyone..:)

Would love to meet any of you down that way while I'm there as I should have a few hours to neighbour.

Cheers

Frank
7a now featuring 10% Ethanol

I'm sure Brad or I could find a spot for you at KFLG. Valle is still a good possibility. Best fuel price is at Sedona as far as I know. We'll get the word out and I'm sure a few pilots will want to come visit you.

Sounds great

Last time I was in there area was to Visit Frank 2 up in St George...Hmm I might even swing by on the way back home to see his painting progree.we'll see..:)

See you all soon I hope

Frank 1

Had a potential offer a while back for a free tie down from Brad a while back but just following up to see if there are any better deals..free tiedown and cheap fuel from the local gas station?.anyone..:)

Frank
7a now featuring 10% Ethanol

Have it all.... sent you a PM

Here is what I did

Two years ago my daughter and I went on a great adventure to the Grand Canyon. We flew into KCMR. The folks there gave us a ride to the hotel after we tied down the RV. That night we went out to eat in a great little downtown area they have there. The next day, the hotel gave us a ride to the train station and we took the train ride to the GC. We rode up in the old style car (while it was it cool). We spent the day at the GC and then got a taxi to the Red Feather Lodge for the night. The next day we spent hiking in the canyon and caught the afternoon train (the air conditioned car this time) back to Williams. The airport folks came pick us up at the train station and we hopped over to Winslow (KINW). The FBO left us the keys for the courtesy car and we went take pictures of my daughter standing on the corner. There is actually a standing on the corner park there. It was a memorable trip. Here is the link to the train site. www.thetrain.com The only bad thing about our plan was that because we didn't spend two nights in the same hotel, we had to carry everthing we needed for two days in our packs. It wasn't a big deal and my daughter even packed her hair dryer. Just consider it.

Sweet

Yeah we're still planning..well I'm providing the transport..we are staying somewhere in a hotel but I don't know what where..I will ask the boss..:)

RE:Lunch is on me!!!!!

Last time I was in there area was to Visit Frank 2 up in St George...Hmm I might even swing by on the way back home to see his painting progree.we'll see..:)

See you all soon I hope

Frank 1

If you two make it this way lunch is on me!!!!!.....

This looks like one great trip. I can't wait to join the club.

Frank2 @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Painting forever!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:If I could just get some 65 F degree days...........................................................:eek:

Cool

Last time I was avoiding all the high terrain and MOA's..This we're planning on going direct (if VFR of course) and St George should be less than 4 hours from Corvallis non stop.

This could work, our friend will be picking us up around 10pm from KFLG so we "should" have plenty of time to stop for lunch in St George and head down to KFLG in the later afternoon.

Brad do you think this might work for you?

Way cool..:)

Frank1

Morning all,

Going down to the GC at Spring Break from the Northwest (Oregon)

Intend to be tied down for a few days.

Where is the place to land and tie down and not get charged an arm and a leg??
Also, it's worth a side trip to Page (PGA) to see Lake Powell and Monument Valley by air if you have a few spare hours.

TODR

Thanks Doug

Actually one of our friends wants to see Monument valley so we might use the airplane for that purpose..

Frank

Last time I was avoiding all the high terrain
This could work, our friend will be picking us up around 10pm from KFLG so we "should" have plenty of time to stop for lunch in St George and head down to KFLG in the later afternoon.

Brad do you think this might work for you?

Frank1

Frank,
I'm going to PM you with more directions of where to park. If nothing else I'll just leave you the "fuel truck" near the parking. As for MOA's we are surrounded by em, If you talk to center, they can look out for you. All of the Military I have seen in these parts are doing low level work- So it is wise to stay at cruse -even/odd thousandfive... clear skies!

Last edited:
Sweet!

Thanks Brad,

Its what makes trips worthwhile knowing there are folks around to help.

Cheers

Frank

RE:Back up note to Brad

Frank,
I'm going to PM you with more directions of where to park. If nothing else I'll just leave you the "fuel truck" near the parking. As for MOA's we are surrounded by em, If you talk to center, they can look out for you. All of the Military I have seen in these parts are doing low level work- So it is wise to stay at cruse -even/odd thousandfive... clear skies!

Hi Brad

I sent you an email so this is my backup to let you know that I talked with Frank and he has put down at Kallamath Falls OR. due to weather. He and his wife are now in the slow rental car to AZ.

Frank 2 @ 1L8 ....RV7A...

Last edited:
10 years later, after using the search function... Looking to do a trip from KWHP to Grand Canyon, possibly Monument Valley too, in a RV-12. I understand there are flight restrictions now over the Grand Canyon. Good low cost fuel also a consideration, since we only hold 20 gallons, if lucky.

Extra bonus if flying the Grand Canyon after a snow storm and we have beautiful blanket of white to contrast with the Red Rocks in GC and Monument Valley. Know how rough the air can be when a blue Norther hits after a fresh powder dump, for viewing.

All suggestions welcome... Welcome to 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the opportunity to see the Secrets of the Grand Canyon IMAX movie at at at Tusayan (South Rim). One of the first IMAX?s ever filmed and still spectacular. I know it seems silly to go all the way to see the canyon and stop and see a movie, but it is well worth it. Especially for aviators. There are some incredible flying scenes in ultralights set to remarkable music. I?ve seen it dozens of times (used to fly tourons there) but it still blows me away every time.

Take the opportunity to see the Secrets of the Grand Canyon IMAX movie at at at Tusayan (South Rim). One of the first IMAX?s ever filmed and still spectacular. I know it seems silly to go all the way to see the canyon and stop and see a movie, but it is well worth it. Especially for aviators. There are some incredible flying scenes in ultralights set to remarkable music. I?ve seen it dozens of times (used to fly tourons there) but it still blows me away every time.

I saw that IMAX movie years ago and it is absolutely amazing!

Mark

I think that Grand Canyon Caverns (L37) along the old Route 66 near Peach Springs, AZ has a dirt strip and is next to a gas station where you can probably put unleaded fuel into that RV-12.

Back