What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS in Canada - Caveats with the 51% rule

llavalle

Well Known Member
Just a quick note for people considering building a RV-12iS in Canada :

Right now, the RV-12iS isn't on the list of kit that have been evaluated by the FAA as meeting the "major portion rule" (aka, 51% rule).

Here's the list : link <-- Last update Sept 24th, 2018

I've reached out to Van's and they confirmed that the -12iS kit (regardless of engine choice) is different enough to require a new evaluation from the FAA. They are working on it but without a definitive timeline. Since this isn't a quickbuild kit - I don't anticipate they'll have issues.

That means that at the time of this writing (Jan 2019), building a RV-12iS in Canada requires a "51% inspection" and you must check " Kit requiring major portion, (51%) inspection" on the Letter of Intent. I reached out to MD-RA to clarify when the letter of intent is required. Worst case, I start the kit now at my own risk and then I do the Letter of Intent when it's added.

I *think* it also means that E-AB builders in the US will have to do the same (having a major portion inspection)

Don't know Canadian rules but.........

In the U.S. there is no requirement for a kit to be on the "Approved Kit List". If it is not, then there is a checklist to prove "Major Portion".
This is nothing new. It's been this way for many many years.

The (MD-RA) Major Portion inspection is $540, peanuts considering the overall cost of the project. Plus, you get to meet your inspector & ask all those questions that are so topical these days, like gascolator or not...

The (MD-RA) Major Portion inspection is $540, peanuts considering the overall cost of the project. Plus, you get to meet your inspector & ask all those questions that are so topical these days, like gascolator or not...

Agreed.. but if I read it correctly, you need to have the complete kit (emp, wings, fuselage + perhaps finish) so they can take a look at it...

In the U.S. there is no requirement for a kit to be on the "Approved Kit List". If it is not, then there is a checklist to prove "Major Portion".
This is nothing new. It's been this way for many many years.

Well let's just say it's isn't a simple checkbox in here :D :p

Well let's just say it's isn't a simple checkbox in here :D :p
It isn't a simple checkbox in the US either. The process in the US is the same as in Canada... If it's not on the list, it gets evaluated for 51% compliance. In Canada that costs $540, i'm not sure if there's a cost in the US.

Back