What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gluing Canopy

Ces 140

Patron
Any long term issues with the adhesive and not using the screws for a tipper 7 canopy? Whats the best site for advise on gluing also best place to purchase? Thanks Jeff

Also search 3M 5200. Far easier, and cheaper ($25), and is flexible and permanent. 195 knots, 4 years, no cracks. Also, that is what Todd, from Todd’s Canopies had recommended.

Last edited:
There's an interesting discussion in this thread.

I have a slight bit of experience with 5200 on a sailboat I used to own. One 5200 seam faced the water, about three feet above it, and had zero direct sunlight. The boat was docked for about three or four months and the rest of the year was either in my driveway or in my hangar, both in Colorado's dry climate. After about 20 years the 5200 had deteriorated. It was difficult to remove and didn't stay in place after I had reapplied it. Instead, it would flow.

On my own canopy, I don't plan to use that stuff.

Dave
RV-3B, top skins of the fuselage in progress

My plane is hangared, and the adhesive is mostly protected from UV by the aluminum skirt. After 20 years, did it fail? Has Sikaflex been exposed to 20 years of sun?

Back