What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Picking up alti-coding from EFIS ?...

Ian

Could anyone help in answering that question : is it possible to pick up the alti-coding signal from an AFS EFIS to feed a standard transponder Garmin GTX whatsoever...?

Need to know which GTX

Some of the Garmin transponders have serial input and some don't. The GTX 320A does not. The GTX 330 does. Not sure about the GTX 327.

The serial buss has to supply the proper language to the transponder. It should tell you in the manual what the sentences are that AFS supply's. Yes Dynon does supply the correct sentences but then again Dynon seems to have gone way out of the way to interface with Garmin products.

OK thanks guys for your answers !... I was just in the process of thinking about the whole scheme in designing my panel....not having any of those items as of yet.
But it would be smart indeed being sure to get the right input from any AFS or Dynon EFIS to feed the transponder without any need of any other interface....before buying those !

So I'll follow your advice and document the thing!

Thanks

Cheers...

Back