What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight vs. SkyDemon vs. FlyQ

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I installed a RAM mount in my -8 and love having my iPad right there in front of me. Unfortunately, Foreflight does not display traffic from my Dynon Skyview ADSB unit, so I am looking for an alternative EFB app that will show traffic in addition to everything else. I then can use the tablet as a third EFIS screen for the moving map, weather and traffic. This allows me to dedicate my second Dynon screen to the engine instruments.

I've downloaded FlyQ from Seattle Avionics and I'm looking at Sky Demon as well. FlyQ looks very nice. I was wondering what experiences anyone has had in using SkyDemon in the US and where the shortcomings are. I'd love to use Foreflight, but they can't seem to get around to displaying traffic from the Skyview.

Mark,
I picked up FlyQ EFB a couple years back during their "Black Friday" sale. It was a couple hundred bucks for lifetime access. So, it is my primary EFB app now. I did not renew Foreflight nor did I renew Garmin Pilot. I have been using FlyQ EFB exclusively now.

I like it. Its intuitive and gets the job done with no gawdy-ness. Foreflight was almost getting to the point of having TOO much stuff incorporated for my personal tastes.

I'm waiting to see what kind of announcements Seattle Avionics has at Sun N Fun this year.

Mark,
I picked up FlyQ EFB a couple years back during their "Black Friday" sale. It was a couple hundred bucks for lifetime access. So, it is my primary EFB app now. I did not renew Foreflight nor did I renew Garmin Pilot. I have been using FlyQ EFB exclusively now.

I like it. Its intuitive and gets the job done with no gawdy-ness. Foreflight was almost getting to the point of having TOO much stuff incorporated for my personal tastes.

I'm waiting to see what kind of announcements Seattle Avionics has at Sun N Fun this year.

Yep, I'll be visiting their booth too to see if they have any deals.

If you're gonna be down there, they are supposed to be unveiling their new "secret project" at one of their seminars. It might be worthwhile to check the schedule to see when they are presenting and swing by and see what all the fuss is about.

I have no idea what its going to be, but they have been teasing it since before Thanksgiving.

I'm using and Ipad with Foreflight on a Ram mount in my RV-8. I haven't tried the others you mentioned but do use a Garmin Aera 660. Both devices connext to my Garmin GTX 345 for ADSB In (Traffic and WX). The 660 connects with barewire and the Foreflight via bluetooth. I like the 660 so well I was just about to stop my Foreflight subscription but then they came out with a few new really neat features. I'll be keeping my Foreflight for now. Its worth the subscription. I only wish Apple made a brighter Ipad Mini display.

I'm using and Ipad with Foreflight on a Ram mount in my RV-8. I haven't tried the others you mentioned but do use a Garmin Aera 660. Both devices connext to my Garmin GTX 345 for ADSB In (Traffic and WX). The 660 connects with barewire and the Foreflight via bluetooth. I like the 660 so well I was just about to stop my Foreflight subscription but then they came out with a few new really neat features. I'll be keeping my Foreflight for now. Its worth the subscription. I only wish Apple made a brighter Ipad Mini display.

I love FF and have been a subscriber for years, but I really want traffic on the tablet so I can use it as my map display. I also fly a Cirrus with the FlightStream 210 installed and FF has no issues showing traffic from that device. For some reason (perhaps contractual restrictions with Appareo?), they won't show traffic and I'm tired of waiting. I'll give FlyQ a good try tomorrow on the way down to SNF and see how it works.

I switched from FF to FlyQ last year due to the lack of Navworx traffic on FF. I love having traffic from my Navworx on FlyQ.

Obviously, FlyQ is different so you have to get used to some things but it has all the features that I need, and then some.

For what it's worth, FlyQ has free synthetic vision, FF makes you pay for it. Honestly, I'm not sure how useful this feature is but it's kinda cool.

What I really love on FlyQ is the fact that your GPS location is shown on the taxi diagrams. You have to double the cost of your subscription to get this same feature enabled on FF.

I have found that FlyQ crashes more than FF did on my iPad Mini. It's a little annoying but it doesn't happen much and when it does it boots back up rather quickly.

I wish FlyQ would give you an audible warning about traffic. I'm no software engineer but it seems like that should be pretty easy to incorporate. I sent them an email about it last year.

The split screen option on FlyQ doesn't seem too logical to me. When I activate split screen, the map that you are currently viewing ends up on the left screen. I would like to be able to look up airport data on the new right screen but that screen doesn't have that feature. When you search for airport info in split screen mode, this information shows up on your left screen. So, when you use split screen, you need to make sure that you have the map view that you want one the right screen before you lose the map view you're using on the left screen when looking at airport or weather data. Then, once you're done with the airport data on the left screen, you have to switch it back to map view, then close the split screen. If you don't, as you exit split screen, you have only airport data (or weather) displayed on your full screen once you go back to full screen mode. Totally illogical.

Anyway, you'll like FlyQ and you'll LOVE seeing the traffic. You just have to get used to its little quirks.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, FlyQ has free synthetic vision, FF makes you pay for it. Honestly, I'm not sure how useful this feature is but it's kinda cool.

Yeah, and I just (as in last week) upgraded to their Pro package. If traffic from Dynon isn't incorporated within my remaining subscription period, I'll probably drop FF and stick with FlyQ.

Been using foreflight since it first came out in our corporate flight department

Had the Stratus 1, 2,2s in series and use it for the traffic information

Yes I have the Synthetic vision Pro subscription. I will suffer the cost for the accuracy of the information.

I use a IPAD mini with foreflight and Stratus 2, in the RV 7, It works great I will continue to use it.

IFLYQ is almost the same cost if you fly IFR and have to have current charts.

If your just flying VFR and don't keep your charts current which seems to be the case of a lot of pilots, there are several about the same cost.

Back