What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Access Panel

The builder of my RV-10 did a pretty poor job on the tanks. I had a leaky baffle and several weeping rivets. It was no big deal to cut access holes with a 5" hole saw. Van's sells cover plate kits complete with sealed end blind rivets. The hard part is finding the real location of the leak and cleaning it adequately.

IMG_2711-XL.jpg

Removing the tanks isn't that bad. The main thing is if you have the wings painted, use a paint cutter to score the paint before removing the screws so the paint doesn't chip.

I did it

I had to tremove the tanks this summer after we go tback from Oshkosh. A funky bird strike that made a tiny dent under the wind right at the back edge of the tank and cause a small leak. A few hours to take off and another few to put back on for essentially a 5 minute fix.
The main issue for me is my wing non slip is painted on, so I had to dig out those screws, then get creative filling them after I put it back together.
A nice air ratchet really helps with all the bolts to the spar.

All in all, could've been worse.

Here, let me go ahead and search this topic for you. . . Ok, done. Here you go:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/search.php?searchid=30281158
Lots of people have been there as well (including me) and have answered your question in these threads. Enjoy your time reading them.

The Nike slogan holds merit for this situation. If you are contemplating whether to cut a very large hole in your fuel tank to fix another hole. "Just Do It!"

Tank removal

Guys,

OK 5 of 7 off 2 to go, not looking forward to finding the leak, thank for the help. Wish I had read the long sleeve hint before . . . chicks dig scars right:).

Last edited:
Nike Slogan

So the post in this thread pushed me over the top. After a long afternoon yesterday of despair having found enough leaks to classify my tanks as a sub with a screen door I started reading the threads and I am ready. Sealing on the outside won't get it done. And the panels and closure aren't the end of the world. Just more work.

I am still on the horns over the HF Aircraft Tool 5 inch hole saw or the ACS Hole cutter.

And I have searched the Van's Aircraft website catalog for the cover and rivet kit. Is it the one called COVER AND RIVETS
FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT for $8.10. I saw one photo where there was a doubler and nutplates. I suppose that is the second mile for maybe someday?

Thanks

Yes

Terrell,

Yes that was the name of the kit I purchased through Van's.

A few things I learned along the way that may be helpful.
1) Green Locktite worked great if you can get away with that fix.
2) Napa sells an epoxy if you have an outside leak that you need to fill and can see.
3) I purchased a 5" hole saw from Lowe's for about $25.
4) If you want to do it right and leave yourself easy future access purchase sealing nut plates and attach with panel with screws instead of rivets.

Hope that helps and good luck with your screen doors, I am thrilled every day I walk into the hangar and there isn't fuel on the floor:).

Drippy

Back