What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side stick

rdamazio

Well Known Member
Thought I'd share this: I was just told that Aerocentro's side stick for the RV10 will start being sold as a kit through Aircraft Spruce :) price should be $5500

(this is by no means an official announcement, and I could be wrong, but I heard it from a reliable source)

Any link to info or pictures? Could only find one on Pintrest and I don't want to create a log in.

This is the RV10 they sell with the side sticks:

Aviao_Experimental_RV%2010%20AC%20ASPIRED_Portal__Aviadores.jpg

Video here

And yes, it's pricy. My plan is to have a friend in Brazil buy it in reais for me - R$15,000, which becomes only US$3,700 (used to be way more before their currency went down).

You should try-fly it before you buy it ;)

As long as there is no comfortable arm rest for the side-stick, it will be tiring..

Igor

My only experience with a side stick is flying a Lancair IV. From that one data point however I would never consider putting one in any RV, much less an RV-10.

There are few airplanes flying today that enjoy the smooth, effortless and coordinated flight controls of an RV.

Carl

Also, a side stick in planes like Cirrus aircraft have an articulated system to reduce control load. I think in a raw form you would have a heavy control feel, which could be fatiguing if hand flown.

Also means you can't switch hands and scratch your nose...or whatever.

I've owned and flown side stick aircraft, with and without autopilot, and never had a problem scratching anything that itched... :eek:

YMMV

regards

~Marc

Will it be cables or pushrods?

And I have to echo what others have said.. for this to be viable you need an armrest..

Last edited:
I think this is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

And I HATE that panel - all over the place......

That panel is just an example (I don't like the rest of it either) - the side stick is just one component there.

The big advantage I see with side sticks is not having the controls in the way of opening a chart or something like that on your lap. Not saying there's anything wrong with the RV-10 standard controls, just that this is an alternative which has its pros and cons. Quite a few people are flying with these and really like them. If you don't like it, don't get it :) but thought I'd share it here since some people may like it.

Just an observation, but Cirrus have an armrest that RV-10s lack. Not to say you couldn't add one but it will take some work due to the -10s cabin and door design.

As for the conventional stick, it's a non-issue IMO. I've got about 95 hrs on my 10 now, about 46 of which are x- country with about 4 hrs in IMC and didn't have any problems. YMMV....

... not having the controls in the way of opening a chart or something like that on your lap.

These days there is no need to open a paper chart (except emergency), but on the other hand it is your airplane, your choice.

Igor

Radrigo,
Thanks for posting the info. I think they are pretty cool. Some people will like them, some people won't. For me, it didn't make sense. Plus, they cut into your usable panel space. Which, I guess, if you planned on from the start wouldn't be a big deal. Personally I like the stick where it is. It aids me in getting my Maverick and Ghostrider action. Side sticks don't quite work for the "too close for missiles, switching to guns" moments...:)

Options are good...

Rodrigo,

I too appreciate you bringing the news of this new technology/option coming on-line to our RV10 community. Some will like, some will not, some just get pontificating, thank goodness we still live in a country and an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft world where change and personal choice is a great freedom we enjoy everyday.

Of course here in the US the GTN is too low to be legal for IFR use...

Depends on your EFIS. I know that the G3X Touch annunciates everything from the GTN needed to meet the IFR instrumentation laid out in the FARs.

No idea if the Dynons in the picture meet these requirements.

That said, I'm not a fan of that layout either!

Curious what makes it too low if annunciations are on the efis?

I could be wrong, but I think the radio/NAV controls don't go to the PFD (like they do on a G1000 for instance), do they? Think of flying a missed approach where you need to switch to a different VOR or LOC for the missed.

Curious what makes it too low if annunciations are on the efis?

My understanding is nothing, IF all of the required annunciations appear on the EFIS. This is based upon my understating of the rules which IIRC only talks about annunciator and CDI requirements if the unit is outside of the center of the pilot?s scan (identified typically as a vertical line that bisects the attitude indicator.)

Another data point..

Rodrigo,
Many 10 flyers talk about the plane being responsive in pitch, but not so responsive in roll. It was my opinion as well, after flying the 10, although it's probable that Vans did this on purpose to make it more stable as a CC bird. I would think a push-rod-activated side stick would exacerbate this, due to the short throw of the side stick.

I must admit, that I too have spent time on their website. I like the paint jobs on their planes. Plus, they have some great comparison shots showing the showplanes cowl vs. the Vans cowl.

Party on.

Back