Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM

$1300 seems like for one plane but I am sure that it reflects how few inspections there are in our country each year. Considering the level of service we get I believe it to be a bargain. Staff and office expense have to be paid by the users, the builders.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Very well said and exactly as I was secretly told also. Why the deception? If the office fees were more reasonable or explained as wages to the inspectors (I do not expect anyone to do a service for me for free) then I would accept this much easier. I work with Transport Canada on a weekly basis and they know how to bill very well. If those doing their work (in TC) were as good at what they do as the guys implementing the fee structure, what a service we would have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
To be clear... MD-RA openly tells us that inspectors work on a volunteer basis. In the background the reality is they work for a fixed per-inspection fee which is built into the total inspection fee. Also of importance is the concept that the "head office" guys who do the final review on inspection data packages sent in by the field inspectors are also on a fixed-fee basis (a.k.a. piecework). I discovered this information through conversations with retired inspectors who no longer have a stake in the game.

This information is not widely known and is considered by the MD-RA to be sensitive. I share it here because, frankly, I can't understand why there is any need to hide the fact that our inspectors do not work for free (and I fundamentally disagree with this dishonest policy). Having some insight into the fee schedule, I can say they don't work for free, but they sure don't work for much more than minimum wage (and usually much less) if they're really doing what they're supposed to do with the inspections and paperwork.

I have the utmost respect for our MD-RA inspectors. In the case of the MD-RA inspections performed on our aircraft, both of the inspectors added real value to the process - it wasn't just a rubber stamp. As a result of having gone through pre-cover and final inspections I wouldn't hesitate to fork over the fees currently charged. I would, however, like to get better value from the fees paid to the head office management. They are on piece work and yet seem to feel no incentive to move paperwork along in a timely fashion.

Be aware, also, that Transport Canada is reviewing ALL current aviation fees (for everything from aircraft registration to pilot medical processing to who-knows-what) and is planning on adding new fees for services we now obtain without additional cost.

If one thinks having one's airplane inspected by Transport Canada would be cheaper than having it done by an MD-RA, well, I suspect one might be in for a bit of a surprise.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM

It's been a month since I sent in my registration application and I haven't heard anything other than an automated email receipt. I just emailed Transport Canada and they quickly told me that they didn't receive my application. Nice. I think the email address that MD-RA shows is outdated. The guy from TC told me to resend to the address I was communicating with him with and he'd get it in the queue, back dated to March 2nd. Who knows, that might actually have sped up the process. Looking at their website, it certainly looks like they are turning registrations around pretty quickly, so hopefully I can get mine soon.

I'm pretty close to being ready for final inspection - not going to do the first engine start before I get the registration. My engine builder wants to wait as long as possible before I start, no point in adding moisture in the engine much before I can break it in. The one thing that's certain, I won't be flying it this month - I'm doing my transition training at the end of the month.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Final inspection days away!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Claude

The process for getting a Canadian C of R for a project is a bit convoluted. I'll try to lay it out in sequence:

Re: TC not receiving your application, did you pay for it, did the cheque clear? They should be able to cross reference it back if that's the case. They may have received it but not doing anything with it till they receive the form I describe below:

1. You should apply for your MD-RA Final Inspection (& pay) NOW (you need to do this now because there is a step in there that has to be done before TC will complete your C of R application). Note in your application to MD-RA that you have already sent the C of R application (or have reserved) to TC for C-XXXX marks. ( I assume you have already paid to TC the $40 or $150 to reserve your custom marks, & $110 to process the registration, the amounts are from my memory, so may not be exactly right). You can arrange with your assigned local inspector to do the inspection on a date when you are ready for him.

2. MDRA will email you back a series of inspection documents, among them will be a form that assigns your local inspector.

3. I think the form C-07B shows you have requested & paid for the Final - and you must send a copy of this form (MD-RA doesn't do it) to TC so they can complete your C of R request. Note to reference your email to TC with your C-XXXX mark.

Neither TC or MD-RA (in their instructions) explain this process very well to us common builder folk...

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 04-05-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Hi Ralph.

I've already had figure that process out. You're right about it not being very obvious. I've already got my final inspection letter, everything is paid and I'm just waiting on the C of R so I can schedule the actual inspection with the inspector (who is the same one who did my pre-cover).

Looking forward to your Sportair workshop on test flying your homebuilt in High River in a few weeks (I'm expecting registration info on that from you still).
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Just went thru that process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Very Canada specific question here. I've just received my final inspection paperwork which enables me to apply for my registration with Transport Canada. With that application I need to submit 2 pictures, the first one with the data plate - no problem there, the second is described as

I have 2 questions that I've asked MD-RA that maybe someone here has run into before.
  1. How completed does the aircraft need to be? Right now I don't have my cowling, wing root fairings or empennage fairings on. My front top skin isn't riveted on and my canopy isn't on. How many of those things are going to be needed to be completed before taking the picture? I want to get my application off at the earliest possible time so I'm not sitting around ready and waiting for that registration.
  2. I used the provision for smaller fuselage letters with the large under wing letters. Do I need to send in a picture of the under wing letters?

Thanks for any experiences my fellow Canadians may have.
I just went thru the registration process for my Bearhawk....here is what I did:

1- Since the plane was still at home is my single car garage, I took a 3/4 view of the fuselage only (no wing/empennage attached). The cowling was installed, but no prop.
2- For completeness, I’ve also submitted a photo of the markings under the wing. The wing was hanging on the wall...

Sent the two photos (along with the data plate photo) and all the other required information and got my CofR delivered to my house after 2.5 weeks. This was dealing with the TC folks in Dorval, Montréal.
Gatineau, Québec
Donation paid...
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero_tango View Post
I just went thru the registration process for my Bearhawk....here is what I did:

1- Since the plane was still at home is my single car garage, I took a 3/4 view of the fuselage only (no wing/empennage attached). The cowling was installed, but no prop.
2- For completeness, I’ve also submitted a photo of the markings under the wing. The wing was hanging on the wall...

Sent the two photos (along with the data plate photo) and all the other required information and got my CofR delivered to my house after 2.5 weeks. This was dealing with the TC folks in Dorval, Montréal.
2-1/2 weeks?!?!?
I'm calling tomorrow, I'm still waiting, it's been 8 weeks. Nice to see that you were able to get registered with the pictures of a clearly unfinished plane. That should at least suggest that the pictures I sent in will be fine.

I just got back from my transition training as well as 2 day EAA Canada Sportair workshop on test flying your homebuilt. Now I'm really itching to get flying.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM

It only took 96 days, several follow up emails and phone calls and the passing of the promised worst case completion date by 2 days, but my registration finally went through yesterday. I cannot understand why it takes so long for what can't be much more than an hour's work. I'm just waiting for the paper certificate now. Now I'm scrambling to finish all of the items that I'd lost motivation for doing while I waited and getting my plane ready for inspection - probably in about 2 weeks.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT