What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS panel location

clutch22

Well Known Member
Fellas,
Sorry for the low quality MS Paint sketch below. Out of several sketches, this seems to be the layout that I keep liking the best. I'm not asking for a panel critique, however, feel free if you want. I am wondering if there is a sweet-spot in the general area that I have the GTN650 shown where I can install it above the quadrant bracket and still be below the middle rib to where I won't have to modify it. I know the rib mod has been done countless times, and I wouldn't lose sleep over doing so. I would just rather not add the extra work if I can squeeze it between.

panel%2B5.jpg

In my opinion I would mount the GPS higher. With an IFR scan, you'll just want to move you eyes and not your head. Get it more in the same line of sight as your EFIS.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having the GPS low. You will only be looking at it to load and activate an approach, because all of the info will be displayed on your EFIS. If you are installing a GTN-650, the back of the tray is just about flush with the sub panel. The only thing sticking past that will be the connectors. You should be able to get below or around the rib without too much trouble, especially if it is low enough.

There is room to move the GTN 650 up at least a couple of inches from where you have it without having to modify the center rib. You will need to cut out an opening in the sub panel no meter where you put it.
Are you sure you want the autopilot controller up there? You will have to reach across your PFD every time you use it. I have mine at the bottom of the center stack and still room for audio panel, 650 and MiniX.

There is room to move the GTN 650 up at least a couple of inches from where you have it without having to modify the center rib. You will need to cut out an opening in the sub panel no meter where you put it.
Are you sure you want the autopilot controller up there? You will have to reach across your PFD every time you use it. I have mine at the bottom of the center stack and still room for audio panel, 650 and MiniX.

Thanks, that sounds promising. I would like to move it up a little. I should mention that this sketch is not necessarily drawn to scale. I just wanted to start getting some ideas.

No, I'm not sure I want the GMC 305 up there. In fact I did place it at the bottom of my center stack at first and liked it there, but was afraid that I would hit throttle quadrant controls inadvertently. But maybe I'm wrong in thinking how close it would be since you say that the 650 can move up even more.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

small suggestion...

Andrew, will be a very nice panel! I am planning same avionics suite for my 10. Very minor suggestion, on the master and mag switches, in my 7 I had them in very close proximity and found it very handy at shut down. Guess I have owned and been in so many certified/rental aircraft where finding the master was a task in itself. off the point, but thought I would throw it in for your consideration.

Cheers, Mike

Can you please share the details of the hardware of the GPS system?
What interface it requires?
Also what are the main hardware components of it?
What about its receiver and transmitter?

https://www.7pcb.com

Last edited:
If possible I would place the autopilot control panel in the upper part of the center stack. I don't like to shift my eyes from the windshield to the bottom of the panel. This is even more important for flying IFR..

Can you please share the details of the hardware of the GPS system?
What interface it requires?
Also what are the main hardware components of it?
What about its receiver and transmitter?

The system has 3 main components: the Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) which is the "box" itself you see in the diagram with the moving map display and controls, a tray that's mounted to the instrument panel into which the LRU slides, and a GPS antenna. The unit communicates with various external devices (EFIS, Transponder, auto pilot, etc) via ARINC 429 and/or RS-232 connections. The Garmin GTN 650 shown, in addition to the IFR certified GPS, also has a Comm and Nav transceiver so it needs to be connected to appropriate Comm and Nav antennas as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/gps-nav-comm/gtn-650/prod67884.html

If possible I would place the autopilot control panel in the upper part of the center stack. I don't like to shift my eyes from the windshield to the bottom of the panel. This is even more important for flying IFR..

This a personal preference. I've flown certified aircraft with the autopilot not only near the bottom of the instrument panel but off center to the right. In my own plane it's on the bottom of the avionics stack and I've never had any issues with my scan while flying IFR in IMC with it in that location. YMMV...

This a personal preference. I've flown certified aircraft with the autopilot not only near the bottom of the instrument panel but off center to the right. In my own plane it's on the bottom of the avionics stack and I've never had any issues with my scan while flying IFR in IMC with it in that location. YMMV...

It's more about the compromise - most of the older design GA aircraft offer. Have a look at the airliners cockpit (they do it for some reason).

I have this drawn up to scale now, and I'm not sure I would be able to squeeze that A/P control panel up above the G3X using the stock panel sheet. I'm guessing I will put it somewhere in the center stack (which would be nice for right seat pilots as well).
I may end up doing from top to bottom: GRT mini, Audio panel, GTN, then the GMC 305 on bottom. It may even be a good thing to be able to rest my hand on the throttle quadrant while I push A/P buttons. I still need to sit in my fuselage and garage fly with this configuration and others.

It's more about the compromise - most of the older design GA aircraft offer. Have a look at the airliners cockpit (they do it for some reason).

They also have 2 pilots and acres of space: Apples and Oranges comparison. However, I do agree that in many cases panel layout is the art of compromise.

My personal preference (and its little more than that) is the following:

For IFR operations I want easy access to the AP controller and the G3X Touch. As mentioned above, I will rarely scan or interact directly with the GTN beyond loading and activating.

Back