What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto 500 hr inspection

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have Slick #4251 mags that will need the 500 hour inspection this winter. Having never checked a mag, I will have some adult supervision for the job. What are the most common parts I should have on hand for replacement while the mags are out?

Points? Condenser? Or???? I expect Acft Spruce will have these parts unless there is a better source.

Oly

The 500 hr mag includes more that just replacing known wear items. Inspections of bearings, shaft play, case cracks, and testing the coils under load are normal SOP. I sent mine to a mag shop in the Seattle area and they came back looking new. Dan

500 hr inspections are very reasonable price wise and do require more that changing parts. Send them in to a reputable shop and you have the inspection done correctly by the book. :)

Magneto 500hr Inspection

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm in the St. Louis area, anyone know of a shop nearby?

info

I just got mine back from aircraft magneto service. Great job, very compete and competent....and very good price.

JUST SHIP SLOW and have them SHIP BACK SLOW. $12 OR $14 each way is fine, but $100 for overnight air hurt a lot...just a miscommunication but was a bummer.

How much does a 500 hour inspection cost for bendix mags? Mine will be due for inspection later this year and I'm on the fence about upgrading to P-mags.

500 hours

Are inspections of this nature usually based on tach time? Thus since we generally use Hobbs meters and they accrue time faster than the tach, can we legitimately delay the 500 hour inspection to some greater number on the Hobbs.

What is the generally accepted percentage relationship between tach time and Hobbs time?

Jim
N444JT

Are inspections of this nature usually based on tach time? Thus since we generally use Hobbs meters and they accrue time faster than the tach, can we legitimately delay the 500 hour inspection to some greater number on the Hobbs.

What is the generally accepted percentage relationship between tach time and Hobbs time?

Jim
N444JT

Use tach time for maintenance. Hobbs for your pilot logbook.

Back