VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Mobile Tool Stands

I've seen people make reference you a wheeled stand where they put a bench grinder, drill press, bandsaw, vice, etc. I am looking to build one.

I'll take any and all input and picture of yours.

Much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Default Bench

No wheels on mine. It's just a 4'x3' version of an EAA bench. Basically utilizing all the leftover plywood plus enough 2x4s to assemble it. I do recommend giving serious thought to your personal work flow and which get the most use. Everyone works different.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uUayrzfRvb2TBYx98
My list
Drill press, grinder, band saw, vice, disk/belt.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 10-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:12 PM

I'll upload a more recent photo of what I built as well as some dimensions as soon as I get home.

Basically it started as storage for my table saw but turned into a pretty nice tool stand. I basically have 4 tools mounted to the top. Band Saw, Drill Press, bench grinder, and belt sander. It's not perfect as I sometimes have to shift the drill press slightly, but overall it works great and it's easy to move between tools when making parts (band saw -> belt sander -> Bench Grinder w/ Scotchbright wheel).

Below is what it looked like before the drill press and bench grinder. DRDT-2 doesn't work on the cart that well.
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - Done (for now)
Wings - Done (for now)
Fuselage - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF

Last edited by BrianDC : 10-10-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: OH MY. Make the image smaller!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:17 PM

I've made several wheeled stands. No pix, but I have 2 in the shop right now.

One of them is has a top about 24" square and has both a bench top drill press and a belt sander on it. It's on harbor freight castors so I can leave it in a corner and just spin it around for whichever tool I need.

The other one is just the cabinet portion of an old wal-mart bbq grill that was junk. I unscrewed the grill portion and junked it, screwed on a top made from a piece of plywood and put my grinder/buffer on it. that one has the added benefit of having a nice storage area with doors where the gas canister used to go.
RV7 Empennage & Wing #72651
Old 10-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Ok, so size of the cart is really up to you. I sized it to fit the portable table saw that is stored in the bottom. I planned to build drawers or add a shelf above the saw, but never got there.

Overall dimensions. 26"x26"x34". Used most of a sheet of 3/4" plywood and mounted casters on the bottom. Electrical extension cord, some Zip-ties and a few bolts to hold down the band-saw and bench grinder and it's all good. Easier than building the EAA table.

Best part for me, I can tuck it against a wall and out of the way when not in use. In a perfect world, I would love for these to be bench mounted against a wall, but just don't have the space at the moment. Maybe when I get a T-hangar that may be an option.

*Edit yes, I know it doesn't look perfectly square, but it hasn't fallen apart yet!
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - Done (for now)
Wings - Done (for now)
Fuselage - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF
Old 10-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Nothing special but it does the trick.

Serial 140118
Donation 2018/19
Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Forum Peruser

Default Tony Bingelis

Do any of the other oldtimers feel the spirit of Tony Bingelis floating through this thread? One of his books shows his version of this idea over 30 years ago.

I built two movable tool tables based on Mr. Bingelis’s design about 17 years ago. One part of his table that I don’t see in any of these photos is a 2x4 mast extending up to about 6 feet above floor level. With a power strip on the mast and 110volt outlets in the ceiling, a heavy duty extension cord can bring power to the mast without the clutter of a cord between the wall and the table. This also allows the table to be moved or rotated easily.

One of my tables has a vise, a band saw and a chopsaw, while the other has a belt sander, a drill press and a bench grinder.

This is a great way to conserve precious floor space in a typical RV shop.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 10-10-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 PM

This one is made with 2X4s, some 3/8" plywood from the scrap pile, and some black laminate I had left over from another project. The joinery is pocket-hole screws using the Kreg pocket hole jig. Some good locking heavy duty wheels make it easily moveable:

Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Not sure who had the original idea, but I stumbled across it in one of the Bingelis sportplane building books (which if you don't have, you should). I have a similar setup to the ones posted here, but I incorporated a 2x4 "post" in the middle of the table. At the top of the post I mounted a power strip. My shop is / will be in a garage (still unpacking 2 months later), where there's an outlet in the ceiling feeding the garage door opener. Spare outlet from that feeds an extension cord that supplies the power strip at the top of the tool stand post. So, while moving the stand around, cord is "up", not on the floor annoying you.
RV-9(A?) empennage in progress
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM
been here awhile

Default One of the best I've seen

http://vansairforce.com/community/sh...98&postcount=3