- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Why TBI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
SmokyRay,
On a different line, I just bought a Rotec TBI for my new project. Sounds like you liked your Ellison. Good to know, but what is to "tune" on a TBI. Sounds like there is nothing on it but an idle screw and the linkages. Just wondering.
Jim
Jim,
As you well know, Throttle Body Injection goes way back to early engines and auto racing. The Wright Flyer engines actually have a rudimentary TBI on them.
Tuning the mixture is simply rotating the injector nozzle in the air slipstream as it flows through the venturi which varies the fuel mixture. Ellison uses a diaphragm in lieu of a float chamber to draw fuel into the venturi. A poor running TBI can usually be traced to one of these two items.

For your Rotec, the Sonex guys had a good thread on the topic, link below.
http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?t=1513&start=10

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 08-30-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Same thing here. I actually flew down to Chino and there’s a padlock on the hanger
they’ve had my Ellison for seven weeks and will not answer phone calls email or any other communications
I just received my Rotec TBI from Australia and will start installing today
Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Default Rotec TBI

Has anybody installed at Rotec TBI recently?

I’m particularly interested in the primer linkage and fuel return line construction

I lost my Ellison to Ellison overhaul and am replacing with Rotec TBI on my RV 4 with an O 320
Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Hi, I did not hear anything from Ellison as well so far. Actually I can not understand that. It is a really bad and unacceptable business behavior. My EFS 4-5 is there since July first…..
In Germany it is not so easy to change components by type of a released airplane. So maybe i will look to get a used one from a private person and try to repair and overhaul it by myself.
If there is somebody out who has one, I would be happy to buy it.
In parallel I already asked some people in the US to check what can be done to go to court.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

I'm not sure what's happening "on the ground" over at Ellison but I applaud this new guy for at least trying to resurrect the company and provide support. Seems to me Ellison was all but dead about four or five years ago. I have a brand new unit that is sitting on the shelf ready to be installed when my engine gets hung, I sure hope Ellison is still around at that point to provide some level of support. I have to think the new owner feels the same way. I don't know but I suspect, he has another / "real job" that pays the bills.