What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward top skin.

goldbar

So I did due diligence and searched here for ten mins at least, no luck. So, I am a bit out of order in my building as my workspace is very limited, until I move the project to the airport, I am unable to put wings or tail feathers on. Canopy has to wait till summertime temps arrive. So, I would like to move on to hanging the engine and firewall forward stuff, but hate to seal it up and lose access to the forward section. I see pictures here and there with engines hanging and open and unriveted on the other side of the firewall, where the F-771 forward skin lives. So it can be done, I am wondering about any concerns I cannot visualise by moving forward, working forward of the firewall and keeping access open to wiring and such on both sides of the firewall before sealing that forward top sheet?

There's no reason to rivet the top skin on until the very end of the build.

Hanging the engine and working on firewall forward stuff can all be -- and usually is -- done with the top skin still off.

You don't mention panel and avionics. Is that done?

Anyway, wait til the last possible minute to close that up .

That is exactly what I had hoped to hear. I suppose a small flexible human with tiny hands for bucking those forward rivets, what with the avionics and such everywhere. Avionics 80-90% complete, 40-60% to go. Bringing wire runs in from wings, tail, a/p servos, and sensors forward thru the firewall.

Last edited:
Depending on how you mount components to the sub panel, there's actually pretty decent access for bucking bars when it comes time to rivet. No problem at all for me, and I've got bigger than average hands.

A thought

That is exactly what I had hoped to hear. I suppose a small flexible human with tiny hands for bucking those forward rivets, what with the avionics and such everywhere. Avionics 80-90% complete, 40-60% to go. Bringing wire runs in from wings, tail, a/p servos, and sensors forward thru the firewall.

A couple of things to consider. I've seen lots of guys paint themselves into a corner when working behind the panel and sub panel. Be cautious to avoid installing things too close to the flanges where riveting will be taking place. If it becomes an issue there is no problem using some flush Cherry rivets in the difficult spots. Better than messing up the skin trying to buck a difficult rivet. Also, plan installs so you can access through the screen cutouts.

The preliminary fit of the cowl can be done with the forward top skin clecoed in place except for the line where the firewall and skin are riveted. As others have mentioned, the skin needs to be one of the last things!!!

Back