What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bend ears or riblets?

Hey guys,

I'm about to finish off the left elevator and trim tab. I've heard 'horror' stories with this not going right when bending the ear. Is it that bad and should I make riblets instead... or should I just bend away?

Dan

Definitely strong opinions on both sides. I decided to try bending the tabs. Took my time; built forming blocks; worked on practice pieces... but I'm proud to be a member of the "One Tab Club". See my thread on the subject; search the forums for One Tab Club and you'll probably find it.

I bent the tabs (which of course I built several times) and some months later I looked at it and didn't like the look of it and didn't like how close the pop rivet was to the elevator so I pulled it off, cut it all off and made riblets.

Club

Definitely strong opinions on both sides. I decided to try bending the tabs. Took my time; built forming blocks; worked on practice pieces... but I'm proud to be a member of the "One Tab Club". See my thread on the subject; search the forums for One Tab Club and you'll probably find it.

I did the same. Documented in my blog.

I heard the horror stories, too, and took the riblet route:

FP03032013A0004B.jpg

Pretty aren't they?

However, now that I have built quite a bit more of the plane, I'd have no issue doing the bend now. Get some scrap and practice a bit prior .. prototype how you want to hold the part and make the bend.

Just remember the Seven Ps : "Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance" (with compliments to the USMC) (**** rhymes with hiss)

Followed Van's instructions with a couple short cuts an bent a pretty good but not perfect tab. Been flying that way, it works like it should.
Last year built a tab for a 9 following Van's instructions to the letter. It turned out almost perfect. Make the wood forms, use the double-sided tape and you won't be dissappointed.

I didn't even try the bending. I went straight to the riblet and it was quick and easy. It gave me confidence in fabricating custom parts also.

33emzoz.jpg

Thanks for all the responses.. I think I might give the riblets a go just to prove to myself that I can fabricate small parts (little wins matter).

But just to be sure I'll make the riblets prior to cutting the 'ears' off.

Cheers,

Ive done both. Personally I think the Riblets look better compared to a good tab bend. At some point in the project, you will likely relax around some of the things that others seem to make folks feel inferior to do (like using a pulled rivet). i've seen some mangled trim tabs that appear to have been made with a 2lb ball peen hammer. Whatever you do, just be reasonably neat and you'll be fine.

+1 for One Tab Club!

I did my tab the way Van's said to do it and was happy with how it turned out the first try. I held the parts in place with form blocks squeezed to the bench with vise-grip welding clamps, and did some light tapping with a hammer and a small bucking bar followed by a smooth punch to get the creases sharp.

I will admit I didn't expect the first one to turn out at all, so I just played around with it, and it happened to work out. If I damaged the elevator at all, Plan B was to cut it and make a riblet.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

If one is patient and meticulous, you can dimple and put flush head rivets into the trim tab and elevator "bent tabs".

Bending tabs

I was going for riblets they whole way through empennage until it actually came crunch time. I had ordered a second trim tab a while ago because I had suspected this was going to be an issue. For kicks I decided to give the spare trim a try. I fabricated a wood block, bent the tabs, and it came out pretty good. I felt confident enough to try it again on the 2nd trim tab and the result was excellent. Finally I bent the tabs on the elevator and couldn't be more pleased. In fact, it might even be the best and cleanest part of my whole empennage :D The trick for me was go slow, think and make sure the bend had a radius to it.

Congratulations

I was going for riblets they whole way through empennage until it actually came crunch time. I had ordered a second trim tab a while ago because I had suspected this was going to be an issue. For kicks I decided to give the spare trim a try. I fabricated a wood block, bent the tabs, and it came out pretty good. I felt confident enough to try it again on the 2nd trim tab and the result was excellent. Finally I bent the tabs on the elevator and couldn't be more pleased. In fact, it might even be the best and cleanest part of my whole empennage :D The trick for me was go slow, think and make sure the bend had a radius to it.

Congratulations Garet. Build on!

Back