What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Tank Attachment Nut Plates

Rick K

Hi guys, new builder here with a quick question. I'm just to the point of riveting on the K1100-08 tank attach nut plates to the wing spar and I'm wondering what others have done here. I found that the 3.5 rivet length is way too short, and I was a little worried about the unsupported rivet length within the nut plate dimple. In addition the countersink detail shows no dimple in the nut plate rivet attach points.

I called Vans and their suggestion was to use a longer rivet and not worry about the unsupported rivet length since it's just a nut plate, or to pound the dimples out. It looks like the longer rivet would mean using a 4.5 or 5, which are in short supply in the kit. pounding out all those dimples seems like a lot of work, with easy potential to damage the nut plate. So, for those who've already tread this ground, what did you do here? How did it work out for you?

Rick,

You should have received some other nutplates that haven't already been dimpled that you can use. I only received a few that were pre-dimpled. In previous kits you had to dimple your own when it was required. I was surprised to see that they actually provided some already dimpled. It shouldn't be a big deal to use a vice to flatten them if you can't find any that aren't dimpled. That's what I'd do.

Anywhere the callout is for a flush rivet, you should dimple or countersink. This includes the nut plates (dimple). This was per a Vans representative, when I asked why some holes were indicated to be dimpled in the plan, and others, that needed to be were not.

I think we are expected to get smarter, as we progress :eek:

Thanks for the responses guys. Your right on the money Mark, I was sent the wrong hardware, K1100-8Ds in both bags and no K1100-8s at all. I tried pressing them flat but it put a bend in them and compressed the holes, so I'd need to drill them out before use. I'm just going to call in the morning and get the right stuff. Not sure why I wasn't told I was trying to use the wrong hardware when I called Vans.

Back