What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Illinois

Mattoon: Airport Steakhouse

One of my favorite lunch spots in Illinois is The Airport Steakhouse in Mattoon. KMTO. Try the tenderloin sandwich!! It's as big as the plate! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Morris, IL ( http://www.airnav.com/airport/C09 ), one finds the Cabaret Cafe at the ramp for breakfast and lunch until 4pm (no dinner). OK food.
Arguably the best in Illinois is Pilot Pete's at Shaumburg near O'Hare ( http://www.airnav.com/airport/06C ). Plus, you get experience messing with every type of airspace out there (stay out of the Class B, and watch the TFR frequently or maybe now permanently over Soldier Field stadium at the lakefront). Excellent food, large variety.
Third, there is an awesome barn converted into a restaurant called Richard's Farm in Casey, IL ( http://www.airnav.com/airport/1H8 ), near the Indiana border on I-70. The restaurant is 1 mile away - call them upon landing, and they immediately send an employee to pick you up (and bring you back when done). Their Sun brunch is particularly noteworthy.
I usually take the kids to KMTO as Chad mentioned, but usually am pounding the TUMS afterward. Homemade onion rings and fried mushrooms, and their "Elephant Ear" giant tenderloin is their signature sandwich.
Carl

Percival Springs Resturant & Campground

Percival Springs is located approx 5 mi south of Effingham (southern) Ill 1H2 & is open every day but mondays. The food is always good. The airport designator is 2T2 at Watson, IL

Tail Winds

Quincy Ill has a nice airport with a good food. Tail Winds open 7 days a week
UIN identifier

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

Richards Farm

The wife and I went to Richards farm in Casey, Il last Sunday for the brunch. It was all true about what has been said. The only problem was the concern for being overgross for the flight home! Highly recommended....

CJ's is OPEN at KBMI!!

This post serves two purposes...one is to announce that the new restuarant at Central Illinois Regional Airport (KBMI-Bloomington/Normal) is now open!! CJ's opened a few weeks ago, and is VERY busy, business is great, the food is great! Saturday and Sunday mornings are a wonderful time to come in for CJ's cuisine!

Part two...CJ's is located almost next door to the new FBO (Platinum Jet Center) at the airport. They will try to marshall you to their facility (happened this morning to a couple of RV's, and others), even though you are going to CJ's. If you follow them, YOU WILL BE CHARGED THEIR RAMP FEE! It aint cheap, and you won't get out of it.

CJ's has parking right in front of their place, and it's free! DON'T PARK AT PLATINUM for food!!!

Morris Restaurant?

Does anyone know what the status of the Morris (C09) restaurant is?

Thanks for any info,
Bones

The restaurant has been closed for a number of months now. I know the airport would entertain a new tenant, but at this time I do not believe there have been any takers.

Glenn Vokac
Oswego, IL
RV-8 (waiting for FAA inspection)

Does anyone know what the status of the Morris (C09) restaurant is?

Thanks for any info,
Bones

Supposedly open under a new name (Shaelye Raye's), but went in April and was closed. Called the number today and disconnected. Me thinks SOL.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the updates about Morris restaurant. Sorry to hear that it's no longer operating. Was a good place for a $200 hamburger.(used to be $100)

Bones

Tried Bollingbrook/CLOW in southwest Chicagoland. Not bad at all - busy general aviation field, and I think home to the guy with the open frame light plane with pusher prop that gives rides at Osh (has a mailbox and fake missiles on wing struts). The restaurant is Charlie's, and typical $200 hamburger fare. Not too much O'Hare class B hassle, as you are only under the outer layer of the wedding cake with 3600' ceiling IIRC.

Taylorville, IL SE of Springfield has a very good pancake (and sausage, donuts, eggs, etc) breakfast every 3rd Sunday roughly April-Oct. Usually some interesting craft, an old Korean era V-tail jet, an RV or two.

06C Schaumburg Regional Airport
Chicago/Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

Great restaurant, great prices. Kind of close to O'Hara but easy to get in and out.

Pilot Pete's
905 W. Irving Park Road, Schaumburg, IL 60193
Phone: 847-891-5100
Hours: Monday to Saturday, 11:00AM to 1:00AM. | Sunday, 11:00AM to 9:00PM
http://www.airnav.com/airport/06C/PILOT_PETES

Corn Fest in DeKalb, IL KDKB

The airport in DeKalb, IL is the site for DeKalb's 31st annual Corn Fest. Carnival rides, corn on the cob, funnel cakes, steak sandwiches etc. etc. Even bands and crafts. EAA has their B-17 on display mornings and selling rides afternoons, and a helicopter is also selling rides. The best thing of all is you can fly right to it! Runway 9-27 is closed for the event but 02-20 is open and self serve fuel is available, although expensive, on the field. You can even buy a "corn hat" which is the DeKalb equivalent to the "cheese hats" you see north of the border!

DeKalb is about 50 miles west of downtown Chicago, close to Rockford. Sunday's weather is supposed to be beautiful. There are two of us with RV-8s on the field, along with a Lancair and a Wheeler Express.

Lansing KIGQ has a nice restaurant that looks over the airfield. Shannon's Landing. Great food.

When the weather is nice KIGQ is really busy and people are landing from all directions on whatever runway they feel like. Use your radio continuously.

Rantoul: KTIP

We took a quick trip to Rantoul, IL. The airport has a museum. The FBO, Precision Avaiation, had all the standard pilot ammenities. We took the courtesy car and headed to Hardy's Reindeer Ranch: http://www.reindeerranch.com/

The reindeer were quite cute. We were glad to be able to get over since it was the last day of their season. They do have a 10 acre corn maze that starts Aug 1st.

Very cute way to spend the holiday.

CJ

Kewanee: KEZI

We took a flight over to Kewanee IL so I could run a New Year's Eve 5K called "Run Your Ice Off Hardcore 5K" and it was cold! The FBO is nice and there is a Happy Joes pizza place on Main St. Plus Good's Furniture store which is huge and has a restaurant in their wine cellar.

CJ

Last edited:
I fly to run 5K's as well - my wife is a half marathoner and that has been our excuse to fly acouple of new places for the weekend.

I'll wait until it warms up here in Iowa!!!

One of my favorite lunch spots in Illinois is The Airport Steakhouse in Mattoon. KMTO. Try the tenderloin sandwich!! It's as big as the plate! :cool:

Yep!
Very good food!
Cindy and I ate there Saturday along with fellow VAF member Frank Smidler and his wife Trudy. We had a very enjoyable lunch.

They don't call it the elephant ear tenderloin for nothing! The fried mushrooms are good too!

Mark

Back