What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Florida

Cedar Key

One of the best fly out spots from central Florida is Cedar Key. It is the shortest paved runway in Florida at 2355 ft. A great place for seafood. Years ago you had to buzz the water tower in town to let the taxi driver know that you needed a ride from the airport. Now she has a radio and you can reach her on the unicom 122.9. The taxi that will meet you at the airport is a hoot, it is held together with duct tape!

From Orlando fly 292 deg true for 97 NM. I ususally intercept the coast line at crystal river and fly up the coast for the great view. The last time I was there there was an RV 10 already there.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK

Pensacola: Beulah Land BBQ, Inc.

Beulah Land Barbecue Inc
6020 W Nine Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL
850-941-2933

2500' grass strip, BBQ place just across the street, less than 100yds
http://www.airnav.com/airport/83J

Florida favorites

DeltaRomeo said:
starting category

OCALA (OCF) Good restaurant on field.

Deland (DED) Restaurant on field serving second best hamburgers in SE. at bar & grill, also restaurant at jump school that we go to sometimes for breakfast. Can watch the parachutists landing.

St.Augustine (SGJ) Restaurant on field above FBO.

Spruce Creek Airpark (7FL6) Very good restaurant on field. I guess all the locals fly somewhere else which leaves restaurant to us. Limited parking.

Flagler Beach (X47) Good restaurant on field.Not open for breakfast; 11am

Crystal River (CGC) Two good restaurants; Olive Tree,Greek American food a short 10 min walk North in a small strip mall; Plantation. good reasonable restaurant in a resort hotel setting on water. Call 352 795 4211 and they will pick you up at airport

Lakeland (LAL) Tony's has closed but you can walk thru the FBO to Hilton hotel which has a small resturant. There is also a restaurant on the South side open for lunch and dinner. We have not eaten there yet.

Sebring (SEF) Restaurant in terminal.

Okeechobee (OBE) Restaurant in FBO.

Punta Gorda (PGD) restaurant in terminal.

Venice (VNC) Restaurant on field , also take a nice walk to Sharky's which is seafood restaurant right on Gulf.

New Smyrna Beach (EVB)-- Good restaurant behind FBO, new owners. Lunch and dinner, buffet Sun from 10 till 2, after 12 can also order from menu.

Bartow (BOW)--Restuarant in terminal

WinterHaven(GIF)-- small restaurant in terminal

Williston (X60)- New restaurant by FBO.

1st Sat of month- (FL54) . Tied with 01FL for best fly-in breakfast around.
2nd Sat- EAA 1236 10am meeting at (97FL) followed by chile and hotdogs for Jan.2010
2nd Sun- Fly-in breakfast at AVO
3rd Sat-- Fly-in breakfast at (01FL) Cedar Knoll, tied with FL54 as best. Check map as you must go in at 700' or less.
4th Sat - Fly-in breakfast at (28J) Palakta.

With all those restaurants, a RV6-A and time (retired) it is hard on the waistline, but very enjoyable with our ALL year flying weather.

Ollie Washburn 6A Love's Landing Airpark (97FL) Home of Fl.Wing VAF annual Nov. Bar-bq fly-in. Check calendar.

Last edited:
fly for food in florida

ollie you are very knowledgeable about this stuff. a couple of other decent places are VRB vero beach cj cannons open any time, TIX space coast reg the outer marker. both places on at the airport. SEF sebring hotel [ free pickup ] has $6.50 buffet mon-sat rated very good!!!!!! suop to nuts.
have you heard of a good resturant at new smyrna beach or ormond beach?
we are still trying to go to the best $18 buffet ever at king and prince resort 912-638-3631 SSI brunswick mckinnon. located on the oceanside.been there one time. this is sunday only. the resort will pick you up. would like to make the trip with you and your gaggle.

Last edited:
la belle x-14

la belle x-14 flew there this week with some local rvers.they have a loaner car and some great country cooking resturants in town. :rolleyes:

Bartow KBOW

I just flew into Bartow Municipal last week. They have a nice new terminal building for the FBO, along with a restaurant in the building. I didn't eat, but it looked like a nice stop for lunch.

The Bartow restaurant is very good as we from Loves Landing have been there several times. In fact if the weather holds we will be there this Sun (5-26) at 10.

Ollie 6A

DeltaRomeo said:
One of the best fly out spots from central Florida is Cedar Key. It is the shortest paved runway in Florida at 2355 ft. A great place for seafood. Years ago you had to buzz the water tower in town to let the taxi driver know that you needed a ride from the airport. Now she has a radio and you can reach her on the unicom 122.9. The taxi that will meet you at the airport is a hoot, it is held together with duct tape!

From Orlando fly 292 deg true for 97 NM. I ususally intercept the coast line at crystal river and fly up the coast for the great view. The last time I was there there was an RV 10 already there.

Just went there today. The old taxi has been replaced by a mini van with nice cold A/C now! Ask her to take you to Ann's restaurant- the local greasy spoon for some great food!

ormond beach (komn) golf club house 200 yds. south of self serve fuel pumps very good food and pierson (2j8) (grass )churhes fried chicken at convenince store next to airport on hwy. 17 get it to go and eat it back at airstrip ,has 1 picknic table, glider ops. on sat.

I have some pictures of a launch from the air from about 30,000 feet that a friend sent me, the no fly zone is pretty large so you cant get very close but being in the air gives you a completely new perspective of the launch. If I find those pictures ill post them so you have an idea of what it looks like.

Ormond Beach

Wow...I must be getting old. I use to live on top of maintenace hanger (line service) at Sunrise Aviation in Ormond Beach 1989-1991 timeframe. The golf course had just opened and I would walk over for food when I could afford to eat.

We would often fly to Cedar Key to see "Edna" the older lady who was "not a cab driver but most folks leave me a few bucks each way". I have been told she has passed away and her son is taking over.

Both are good places (well they were in 1991)

Joe

We would often fly to Cedar Key to see "Edna" the older lady who was "not a cab driver but most folks leave me a few bucks each way". I have been told she has passed away and her son is taking over.

Joe

He was driving the old checkered cab for years. It was the same deal... " catch me on the flip side and give me what you feel is fair" He's gone now along with the checkered cab. It's some lady ( I forget her name) with a mini van does the route for five bucks per person each way. Pretty steep considering we had 8 people and one guy had to sit in the trunk area and my girlfriend sat on my lap! Still a GREAT place to go!

Cedar Key

Bruce,

I don't remember an old cab. Edna drove an old brown station wagon. Just fly in circles over the island and she would head to the airport to get you. She eventually got a radio and came out when she heard you call a few miles out. We all had great fun flying to Cedar Key back then and I hope to visit again with my wife Kim (also a pilot) and two kids.

Take Care,

Joe Hesano
Poplar Grove, IL

Fly-in breakfast 1st Sat of month at Flying Tiger Field (FL54) , and 2nd Sun. at Avion Park (AVO), 3rd Sat. VERY good fly-in breakfast at Cedar Knoll( 01FL) 4th Sat. there is fly-in breakfast at Palatka (28J). Check AirNav.com for the airports.

2nd Sat. is our Chap 1236 EAA meeting at 10am and now we will probably be going to Williston (X60) for lunch where they just opened a new restaurant.

Last edited:
I can't believe Albert Whited (SPG) didn't make the list, nor did Orlando Executive (ORL). Both have every flavor restaurant within walking distance. St. Augustine is got the added bonus of the cheapest self serve 100LL in the state and a decent place to eat.

I will buy lunch at Fernandina Beach (55J) if someone can figure out how to get the city off the airport users back.

places in Fl

River Ranch Resort(2RR) in central Florida east of Lake Wales is a nice destination for lunch or a weekend. They have a nice lodge, motel rms, a rodeo on Sat. nights,and a nice paved runway within 1/4 mile. Also golfing, fishing, and horseback riding. Have'nt been there for a year or so, but have enjoyed it many times.(they also have a saloon for dinner after the rodeo) :p

Lunch

Florala (0J4)
31,02.5 N
086,18.7W

This little gem is about 90% military trafic. They attract Navy from P-cola to Jax, and Army from Ft Rucker, etc. They are one of VERY FEW civilian locations that will actually provide pressure refuel to a spinning Helo...and we love that (as shutting down is a craps shoot to see if it will come back up!)

They always have great pulled pork and other great food...I think it might be a fun place to land around 1030 or so, and stay until 1330 ish during the week just for the experience. Last time I landed there, we were in a Navh H-60B, 2 Chinook's landed after us, there was a Huey, 2 Navy H57's (Bell jet ranger), and 2 Navy T-34's.

Enjoy

Arthur Dunn Airpark X21

Flew the Rocket over to Arthur Dunn Airpark in Titusville (closest uncontrolled airport to Cape Canaveral) to watch a former squadron buddy sky-dive. I landed on the grass strip 04 (1790')but they have a longer, paved runway for those who need it. We taxied up behind the Skydiver hangar for public parking. They have SS 100LL in front of the hangar.
After watching my buddy "take the plunge" we drove a mile and a half to Dixie Crossroads for some most excellent seafood. Their Key Lime pie is a 7 out of 10 (10 being Pepe's in Key West). Even if you had to hoof it, it wasn't that far, simply exit the airport onto Williams St., turn right go 1/2 mile to the main drag(Garden St)and turn left, go 1 mile to Dixie St.
Dixie's phone number is 321-268-5000. Definitely a great stop.:)

Rob Ray
F16,RV4ormerly
HR2
www.dixiecrossroads.com
http://www.airnav.com/airport/X21

Last edited:
Flew the Rocket over to Arthur Dunn Airpark in Titusville (closest uncontrolled airport to Cape Canaveral) to watch a former squadron buddy sky-dive. I landed on the grass strip 04 (1790')but they have a longer, paved runway for those who need it. We taxied up behind the Skydiver hangar for public parking. They have SS 100LL in front of the hangar.
After watching my buddy "take the plunge" we drove a mile and a half to Dixie Crossroads for some most excellent seafood. Their Key Lime pie is a 7 out of 10 (10 being Pepe's in Key West). Even if you had to hoof it, it wasn't that far, simply exit the airport onto Williams St., turn right go 1/2 mile to the main drag(Garden St)and turn left, go 1 mile to Dixie St.
Dixie's phone number is 321-268-5000. Definitely a great stop.:)

Rob Ray
F16,RV4ormerly
HR2
www.dixiecrossroads.com
http://www.airnav.com/airport/X21

Dixie Crossroads is good, but some of the best BBQ you'll ever have is about 2 mi north of Dunn on US 1... That would be Louis' BBQ... I promise, you'll thank me...

BTW, I made my first jump at Dunn... In 1980...

Dave

New Smyrna Beach

Stella's Skyline Cafe is right on the airport at New Smyrna Beach. (KEVB)
Live jazz on Fri. and Sat. nights.
Nice bar and seating on the veranda is nice. Good food and drink.

winter haven GIF new terminal building

stopped by GIF and had a great sandwich at the new cafe. saw two self launch motorgliders depart and spent a while a jack browns seaplane base sitting on the dock on a beautifull day.

Cuyler Airpark (FD27) Ice Cream Social 6-13-09 Reminder

This announcement had also been listed in the Calendar Section....this is just a reminder in hopes more RV's will have time to fly over an join us for a few hours.

EAA Chapter 193, and Cuyler Airpark resident John Wanamaker announces we will host another one of our tasty Ice Cream Socials on SATURDAY, 13 June 2009.

Many varieties of Milk Shakes, sundaes, banana splits, and many other tasty ice cream delights. Fly-in or drive-in, and sample our famous milk shakes on your 100 dollar hamburger route!

ALL aircraft welcome... Ultralights, Para-planes, LSA's, Heli's, Certified Aircraft, and Experimentals (especially RV?s). Cuyler Airpark (FD27) is a 3,250' x 65' grass, lighted air strip. 122.9 unicom. 10:00am till 4:00pm

[FONT=&quot]Over night camping or motor home RV?s welcomed, or we can help make arrangements at one of our local motels if needed. Call John at 904-259-0706 if you need additional information or assistance. We have an average of 10-25+ aircraft attending each social... more the merrier, we say! Not a pilot, or own a plane? Not a problem... we would love to have you and your family drive-in, and attend regardless, and have some fun and look at all the BEAUTIFUL aircraft! A small donation to EAA Chapter 193 requested for refreshments consumed.

Hope to see you there!

[/FONT]

St. Augustine, FL

We have flown to St. Augustine a few times for the classic $100 breakfast at the nice airport cafe.
However, we have now been there twice to attend concerts at the St. Augustine Amphitheater. http://www.staugamphitheatre.com/ (The first time we saw Hall and Oates, and this time we saw Jackson Browne, so I guess this dates us just a bit:cool:) This little gem is, without a doubt, one of the nicest outdoor venues around. There is not a bad seat in the house, and the location, staff, and setting are really nice. You can stay at a nice hotel in old St. Augustine and drive, or take a taxi (that's what we did the first time) to the venue in about 15 minutes. This time we stayed at the Castillo Real Hotel out near the beach. It is about two miles from the venue. One could walk to the venue in 30 or 40 minutes, bicycle in about 10 minutes, or drive and park for $5 at the venue. The Castillo Real is a very nice hotel and is about 100 yards from the beach. The Cafe 11, right across the street, is a funky breakfast joint that we really enjoyed.
Galaxy Aviation is a very nice FBO and they treated us well. The airport cafe is upstairs from Galaxy. The FBO 100LL is expensive, but you can taxi to the city self-serve and get $3.59 fuel.
The Extra factory is on this airport, so you see some pretty cool airplanes flying around.

More To Come.........

Key West EYW has a airport cafe. The lower keys run east to west so you have the sun at your back going down and at your back coming home. Fantastic island flying on a clear day.
Fort Lauderdale FXE has a new airport cafe now. Always fun dealing with the busy airspace.
Naples APF has the best ribs a Micholbobs just out side the airport on the main road.
Venice VNC has Sharkys on the beach dining a short walk from the plane
FLY FOR FOOD FUN FRIENDS FAST FOREVER FINALLY FINISHED FRED:confused:

americanflag2a.jpg

Winter Haven Fly-In 2009

I went to the Winter Haven Pilots Association annual fly-in at KGIF today with some friends. The weather was spectacular and the meal was really great. This was one of those Florida days where you can see both coasts from about 6,000'. I just finished my very first Condition Inspection yesterday. Test flew the airplane yesterday evening and filled it with gas. It was a pleasure to get back in the air today with the trip to Winter Haven. Lots of airplanes and quite a few RV's.

http://picasaweb.google.com/damaib/Roll24?feat=email#

sunny FLA.

Well, inevitably the weather up north is starting to turn and the great flying days are becoming fewer. Fortunately we have some vacation Jan/Feb 2010 and have been offered a house in Cape Coral. I'm considering taking TDQ down so that we can do some flying around Fla.
Can anyone recommend a small airport (turf ok) in the viscinity of North Fort Myers/Cape Coral that we could use as a base of operations? I realize that all airports are friendly, but some are super friendly and a few are especially RV friendly :D My airport here in Brampton, Canada is one such place.
Ideas appreciated. Thanks

Thanks Bruce, that sounds like a good bet. I'll let you know if this all comes together and we end up in your neighbourhood.

Bay Minette (AL) 1R8

Close to NW FL, so that is why I put it here. Also starting to draw a larger MIL crowd due to contract fuel, etc. MANY options for food(about 8 choices and they will bring them to you if you are in for a quick fuel), and the line staff is nice...check them out on FBO hotties and you will see!

Say Hi

OCALA (OCF) Good restaurant on field serving best hamburgers in SE.

Deland (DED) Restaurant on field serving second best hamburgers in SE.

St.Augustine (SGJ) Restaurant on field above FBO.

Spruce Creek Airpark (7FL6) Very good restaurant on field. I guess all the locals fly somewhere else which leaves restaurant to us. Limited parking.

Flagler Beach (X47) Good restaurant on field.Not open for breakfast; 11am

Crystal River (CGC) Two good restaurants; Olive Tree,Greek American food a short 10 min walk North in a small strip mall; Plantation. good reasonable restaurant in a resort hotel setting on water. Call 352 795 4211 and they will pick you up at airport

Lakeland (LAL) Tony's, good restaurant upstairs in terminal building.Friendly tower people and traffic not like S&F.

Sebring (SEF) Restaurant in terminal.

Okeechobee (OBE) Restaurant in FBO.

Punta Gorda (PGD) restaurant in terminal.

Venice (VNC) Restaurant in FBO, also take a nice walk to Sharky's which is seafood restaurant right on Gulf.

With all those restaurants, a RV6-A and time (retired) it is hard on the waistline, but very enjoyable with our ALL year flying weather.

Ollie Washburn 6A Love's Landing Airpark (97FL) Home of Fl.Wing VAF annual Nov. Bar-bq fly-in. Check calendar.

Say hi to Clint for me.
Chuck Garland
PA-18-160 Amphib

Belle Glade X10

Belle Glade (X10) is a paved crop duster strip at the SE corner of Lake Okeechobee. Park in the grass at the SW end of the field and walk thru the gate in the SW corner. The Black Gold restaurant is 1/2 block west. Great country food.

Albert Whitted Field

Flew from Ft Pierce over to Albert Whitted this morning for breakfast. The Hangar restaurant was very nice (a little pricey). It is located upstairs in the main terminal. Pretty neat, when we landed on runway 18 we had to stay a little high on short final to avoid a sailboat coming out.

albert whitted field

Flew my son there 3 weeks ago for a Rays game. They were really nice. Offered free ride to and from the game and didn't require any fuel purchase or tie down. Really good burger! Makes me want to go see another game.

Bill
rv-4

A few more good places to fly

Here are a few places to fly for lunch that weren't mentioned.Everglades City (X01). Quaint with gd seafood. Will pick you up. Marathon (MTH). Taxi service to several good eating places. Landing fee or fuel. Marco Island MCO). Will supply airport van for lunch visit and seeing the island. Many choices to eat at.
Woodman

Tiki

Dont forget the Airport Tiki at KFPR (Ft. Pierce) The food is pretty good and if you can get a cab on Saturdays there is a Farmer's Market at the waterfront (4-5 Miles). Walk across the street to PP Cobb general store and mix your own six pack from 500 beers:D....just don't drink & fly.

My 2 favorite FL airports for food/fuel are:

Cross City (KCTY). GREAT food, inexpensive 100LL. They used to have a 500lb pig (Airport Charlie) that drank beer. My daughters loved to fly there to see Charlie.

Zephyrhills (KZPH). Cheapest fuel and overnight fees anywhere near Tampa. Take the courtesy van to Flaco's Cuban cuisine about 2miles from the terminal where the food is some of the best anywhere.

:cool:

Which is best airport near Tampa

Will be flying from CA to FL during Sun N Fun week to stay with friends that live in Palmetto, which is between Tampa & Sarasota. Can anyone recommend an airport that an RV can be parked at for a week or so that is within reasonable driving distance to Palmetto?

Thanks

KPTF - Peter O Knight Airport. This airport is GA friendly and is located in south Tampa. It's the only one I've ever used in the area, so I can't tell you about any of the others.

St. Pete or Sarasoda?

What about Albert Whitted in St. Petersburg vs Sarasota? Anybody have experience at either of these airports?

Albert Whitted

Just flew in there the other day for the heck of it. There is an overnight tie down fee, waived if you buy gas. Nice restaurant and FBO. Very friendly people.

FWIW

For grass as mentioned earlier the Manatee strip is the closest. Albert Whitted is a drive across the Sunshine Skyway but one of the best GA airports you could choose in Central FL.
KTPF is great too but quite a hike from Palmetto.

I flew into Tampa International (KTPA)

I flew down to attend the Outback bowl (my team came in second).

Stored my RV-10 at The Jet Center. $17 per night.

The Jet Center is a superb FBO. These guys were great. They drove us all over town in the van and picked us up from various places too.

On departure, did an intersection takeoff from 18L and only had about 6,000 feet of runway left when I rotated.

Chalet Suzanne X25 Strip Condition?

My wife has been asking me to take her to Chalet Suzanne for dinner but I am concerned about the grass runway condition. Anyone have first hand information about X25? Would you fly an RV6A into this strip?

brian,

we have been in many times. great place to visit. a bit bumpy, use soft field technique. give us a post on the visit, turbo

Back