What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radios too close to sub-panel

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am working on installing the Garmin GRT200B comm and GTX327 transponder, however the rear of the readios are too close to the sub panel. How are you guys working this out? Cutting holes or cut outs in the sub-panel? My radios will be center of the panel and the canopy eject stiffener is back there too. Can I just cut out whats in the way? This is on an RV7.

Thanks,

Do you have your plans/builder's manual?

It should have instructions on hole placement, size, and when reinforcements are necessary.

Yes. Cut out what needs to be removed. This is what I did on my -6A. As far as the canopy release handle, I repositioned the handle to the bottom end of the instrument panel and to the pilots side from center. This relocation did require some head scratching on my part.

Thanks. The ejection handle mechanism is not in the way but the bottom part of the stiffener/bracket is. I am thinking I can cut into the sub-panel below the ejection mechanism and it will be fine.

Anyone have any photos of their set up?

Thanks

Cut as Needed

I just went through this issue last week with my RV-9A slider build. The Garmin GRT200B radio will just barely fit between the front panel and the sub-panel, but there is no room for the big d-sub connector. I was able to cut a slot in the sub-panel by drilling two holes with a step drill and then cutting the material between them with a cut-off wheel. I then brought the connector bundle under the sub-panel and bent it around and through the slot to plug into the radio. I also had to drill a big hole for the antenna coax connector. I reinforced the bottom of the sub-panel with some channel aluminum to keep some stiffness. I can't speak to the GTX327 as I don't have one, but the same process should work. It would be nice if these radios were shorter!

I gave up entirely and cut a large rectangle from the sub-panel for my radio stack to go into, then made a beefy box structure with aluminum angle for the trays which attaches to both the panel and the subpanel (I had to lose a complete rib panel-to-sub-panel on onse side because of EFIS placement).

I think this is one of those areas where you just have to modify the structure as needed to make room for whatever equipment you have. Some folks have cut off the aft portion of the rib and relocated, or made new ones, to tie the panel to the sub-panel.

I repositioned the canopy release in such a way that it was downward, behind the subpanel, but eventually that got in the way, too, so I ditched it entirely. That's a decision each builder has to make on their own...I'm comfortable not having one.

Oh, and if a fit is tight, but not *too* tight, you can get various form factors for D-subs that have the wires coming out of the side or at an angle from the side. Check the usual sources for connectors.

I gave up entirely and cut a large rectangle from the sub-panel for my radio stack to go into, then made a beefy box structure with aluminum angle for the trays which attaches to both the panel and the subpanel (I had to lose a complete rib panel-to-sub-panel on onse side because of EFIS placement).

I think this is one of those areas where you just have to modify the structure as needed to make room for whatever equipment you have. Some folks have cut off the aft portion of the rib and relocated, or made new ones, to tie the panel to the sub-panel.

I repositioned the canopy release in such a way that it was downward, behind the subpanel, but eventually that got in the way, too, so I ditched it entirely. That's a decision each builder has to make on their own...I'm comfortable not having one.

Oh, and if a fit is tight, but not *too* tight, you can get various form factors for D-subs that have the wires coming out of the side or at an angle from the side. Check the usual sources for connectors.

I did the same on my 7-. in fact, I made a VERY large rectangular cutout that took out the entire lower part of the eject mechanism stiffener just below the actuator rod opening to accommodate a Garmin GTN750 mounted at the very top of the panel with a GTX345 below it. Both of these radios are so deep as to penetrate the sub-panel by an inch or so. This was to permit the radio stack to be shifted about 5” to the left, far more pilot-centric than before. This is not a problem because I was able to create a rectangular riveted reinforcing ring with flanges bent forward around the cutout, and these bolted to the Garmin installation trays, Resulting in massive mutual stiffening between the instrument panel itself and the sub- panel, so-ultimately the canopy release is even stiffer than before. The greater challenge was to design and fabricate a modified actuating mechanism that moved the eject handle about 5” to the right, but this ended up having a more secure closure when not in use and a greater mechanical advantage if it ever does need to be used.- Otis

Last edited:
Back