What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red cube heat protection

ILikePike

Well Known Member
During my recent inspection Vic pointed out that I may want to insulate my red cube to protect it from heat. It is mounted on the firewall above the curved part of the outlet ramp with AL angle top and bottom. Does anyone have a neat way to insulate this? I am thinking an AL shield or fire sleeve type wrap.
Has anyone experienced any issues with this mounting location?

IMG_4972_zpsvtu3afzp.jpg

I lined the bottom of my cowl with a layer of fiberfax and the thick aluminum adhesive backed foil material Vans sells for protecting the cowl from heat. I had some of these materials left over so I wrapped the red cube in it.

2i03huf.jpg

Actually, the materials are handy to have around as I have used it to insulate several other things under the cowl since then.

I mounted mine on the line between the fuel injection servo and the spider, then wrapped it in fire sleeve. I used stainless steel zip ties to secure it. No problems after 200+ hours.

FP29072014A000Y6.jpg

FP29072014A000Y7.jpg

I used some adhesive backed thermal insulation tape.
IMG_6476-M.jpg

Better than nothing, but I don't have any idea if it helps much.

Not much.

Ours is mounted to the engine mount on the right side about 6-8 inches above the exhaust pipe on that side as we have a 4 into 2 crossover Vetterman.
All we used was some S.S. .025 and made a shield that went between the mount and the red cube. Kind of like what you would see as shielding under you car. Seems to work very well. It blocks heat from below and cooling air from above blows down and out to keep the heat going out the lower cowl exit. Your location looks a little closer to the pipes than ours so you may wish to both shield and rap your cube. Just a thought, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back