What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R-914 Stiffners Steel Template Video

RV7ForMe

Well Known Member
Rudder Stiffners Steel Template Video

Hey Boys and Girls!

I made a video of what I have been working on yesterday. I though it was pretty good idea so I threw it together to see what you guys think...

R-914 Stiffners Video

Last edited:
Tip

Good tip.
Whatever method make sure you mark edge distance on the end holes.
Remember to put a dollop of proseal at the end before sealing the rudder skin.
I actually prosealed my stuffeners on the rudder and elevators.

Huh?

Good tip.
Whatever method make sure you mark edge distance on the end holes.
Remember to put a dollop of proseal at the end before sealing the rudder skin.
I actually prosealed my stuffeners on the rudder and elevators.

Tell me how screwed i am. I just prosealed the trailingedge piece on my rudder but did not put proseal on the end of the stiffeners. What should i expect?

I can take the wedge out since it is not riveted yet if i really need to do this.

Why proseal?

Hey Larry. Are you Talking about the trailing Edge?
Why would we proseal the Stifners?

Last edited:
Tell me how screwed i am. I just prosealed the trailingedge piece on my rudder but did not put proseal on the end of the stiffeners. What should i expect?

I can take the wedge out since it is not riveted yet if i really need to do this.

It's just an extra step to keep flexing at this location from causing cracks. I wouldn't go back and undo things just to add the pro-seal (I didn't). Only 100 hours so far, but no cracks on my rudder skins yet. And if they do, will probably just need to stop-drill.

Chris

Other solution

It's just an extra step to keep flexing at this location from causing cracks. I wouldn't go back and undo things just to add the pro-seal (I didn't). Only 100 hours so far, but no cracks on my rudder skins yet. And if they do, will probably just need to stop-drill.

Chris

Chris thanks for the feedback. I have a few years before i am flying. If i am still worried about it then, i think i might just pour some expandable foam in there to dampen the vibration; just a 1/4" bead along the AEX wedge on a cold morning should be sufficient. But i am not there yet.

Chris thanks for the feedback. I have a few years before i am flying. If i am still worried about it then, i think i might just pour some expandable foam in there to dampen the vibration; just a 1/4" bead along the AEX wedge on a cold morning should be sufficient. But i am not there yet.

Just be careful about the foam, apparently it can trap moisture and accelerate corrosion.

Chris

Proseal stiffeners

Hey Larry. Are you Talking about the trailing Edge?
Why would we proseal the Stifners?

Yes. A few of us prosealed the stiffeners before riveting. It's just another measure to prevent cracking of the skins. Not a Vans step. Only done on the surfaces subject to the prop wash.

Yes. A few of us prosealed the stiffeners before riveting. It's just another measure to prevent cracking of the skins. Not a Vans step. Only done on the surfaces subject to the prop wash.

This was promoted "back in the day" when cracks started showing up on primarily .016 skins. Later it was discovered, or assumed, that build error, specifically poorly formed trailing edges, was the main factor.
I have .016 skins and no cracks, and the stiffeners are not glued, only the aft portions tied together with RTV, per plans.
Also consider the newer rudders are built differently than the one piece old style skin. I am not aware of any reports of cracks on .020 skins with the newer designed parts but they may be out there.

That said, I don't think gluing down the stiffeners adds much weight and I can't see it hurting any. Now, if you don't, and yours crack tomorrow, it wasn't me!

Thanks for the tip. That explains why I didn't see it in the plans. The plans say to use tape on the trailing edge and that proseal was used before. So far I have never used proseal.

T88 epoxy

The plans also suggest using t88 epoxy. I used proseal but will probably use epoxy next time because i wouldnt need a kitchen scale to measure since mix ratio is 1:1, ot 10:1

Back