What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire shopping list

8 Builder

Does anyone who has installed a VFR G3X system have any shopping list recommendations as to how much of each type of wire to buy? I am just starting to make basic plans for electrifying my RV-8. I have read that I should buy twice as much as I think I need but I have no clue as to how much that is.:( Other considerations for wire runs are AeroSun VX lights and Garmin pitch and roll servos. Also what have you found to be the best way to wire two Infinity sticks together? D sub connectors?
Thanks for any help, Rich

I can't opine on the amount of wiring and others likely won't have an accurate number because it depends on your setup. You can use the wiring diagrams and equipment locations to estimate your needs, however.

I used 15 pin D-Subs for my Infinity grips. I just tie-wrapped them together with no shell.

Last edited:
Put it on paper first!

After talking to several forum advertisers I ordered a couple of books. The book from Marc Ausman help tremendously! After reading that one, I decided to use the VPX system. Once I started inputting the information on their "online configurator", I really began to get a firm handle on what I was doing. (You can do all this before you buy anything) I had "zero" knowledge about what I was doing when I started. Even though now, I'm still not much farther along with the smarts, I think I'm on track for a "great" wiring job. I had "StienAir" build all the avioics harnesses and supply all parts. They also supplied a wiring diagram. Chad at Vertical Power has been a huge help also! He has reviewed my VPX wiring design a few times over the last several weeks. Doing this BEFORE you start running wires forces you to dig deep into your electrical needs planing and will help minimize the chance for errors. After I ordered my wire, I realized I already had most of what I was gonna need included in the VPX wiring kit I had purchased with my avionics package.

Hope this help!
Tim

Good Ideas

Thanks guys. The D subs are what I had in mind for the Infinity sticks. Glad to know someone else did the same. There must be a schematic drawing program out there to ease the pain of drawing those. I plan on doing one schematic for each system or black box. I am too stubborn and cheap to have anyone do the harnesses for me. One wire at a time; Right?

Back