What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Wing Bolt Installation - Fail

Pbr47906

Well Known Member
Gentlemen, I thought yesterday was going to be a good day with the installation of the wings, however the issue is now that the bolts are so far in that the nuts can't be installed. Thinking that rotating the bolts might allow the bolts to back out slightly I discovered the lower bolts can't be rotated and I fear breaking off the heads.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Ruley
N277PM
RV7A
765-490-0063

Gentlemen, I thought yesterday was going to be a good day with the installation of the wings, however the issue is now that the bolts are so far in that the nuts can't be installed. Thinking that rotating the bolts might allow the bolts to back out slightly I discovered the lower bolts can't be rotated and I fear breaking off the heads.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Ruley
N277PM
RV7A
765-490-0063

I'd try three things:

1) Penetrating oil on the bolts to help them rotate.

2) A helper wiggling the wing.

3) Using a pry bar (gently, of course, and with back-up material between the fulcrum and airplane structure) to push the bolts out slightly.

Must be talking about the ones behind the gear weldment? Any possible way to get an air hammer or rivet gun on the front to drive them rearward?

No, that is the issue in that the gear weldment is too close the end of the bolt. All the work must be done at the head end.

Ruley

Another question is if the bolts are that tight, how do you get an accurate torque of the nut??

Ruley

I recently did the same thing but had installed the bolts after soaking the holes and bolts with Corrosion-X. Using a pry bar, I was able to push them back just enough to get the same long pry bar under the head of the bolt and back them out enough to get the nuts started. That is when things get really difficult! :D

I just installed mine solo a couple months ago, I hope I never need to remove these wing bolts! there is a thread on here some where, one did this with lots of shims and heel bars while turning the head.

After tapping one or two of the bolts in too far, I did what Kyle and Ray did...used a big pry bar leveraged off small blocks of wood, with copious applications of PB Blaster. Put a socket on it and turn it a little as you pry.

To answer an earlier question, you need to get the running torque of turning the tight-fitting bolt, then add the usual torque spec to that value. I had a couple where the running torque alone was on the order of 12-15 ft-lb.

Back