What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F835 - Rear Baggage Shelf question

Saville

Well Known Member
HI all,

I'm wondering if the rear baggage shelf - F-835, is a structural member such that if doors, or holes are put into it, the strength and G load carrying capabilities of the airplane are compromised.

Or is it just there to provide support for baggage and keep stuff from falling into the fuselage control system.

thanks..

Rear baggage shelf

I am sure that it supplies some structural strength as it is attached around its perimeter to the fuselage. On the other hand I have seen builders cut an access door in it to get at the ELT, Battery or other access need. Sorry I don't have a post to point you to. Just think of all the other mods that builders have done such as the avionics access door inside the front baggage area or the mod to the gear leg towers for better access to all things that run inside there or need occasional tightening.

People regularly put access doors in the rear baggage shelf to get at avionics and antennas, etc., properly reinforced of course. Many examples available on builder logs.

I am sure that it supplies some structural strength as it is attached around its perimeter to the fuselage. On the other hand I have seen builders cut an access door in it to get at the ELT, Battery or other access need. Sorry I don't have a post to point you to. Just think of all the other mods that builders have done such as the avionics access door inside the front baggage area or the mod to the gear leg towers for better access to all things that run inside there or need occasional tightening.

The one that's in my -8 now has an access door. But I noticed on the plans that there is no opening in that part so I began to wonder if a cut out is ok.

I'm thinking of putting another 2" hole in the forward facing part.

P.S. I'm located in Beverly nice to have an -8 builder close.

Ok let me put the question another way:

If I flew one test flight without F-835 installed, am I compromising the structural integrity of the airplane?

May-be?

It has been a long time now that I looked at this question, but best I can remember is that Van had it in the instructions somewhere not to fly without it in place. I have flown with it out and had no problem at the time and I have seen several that have been changed to add openings in them and no reports of faults. I really don't know, but I think it is one of those things that if you are going to push the airframe in hard Aero. or turbulence you should have all the support you can. This question is better answered by Ken Scott or the Portland boys. I have had no problems with it out on test flights were I went up just to check out the rigging or something miner. I do put all the screws back in for normal loaded hops and only take it back out now for condition inspections or if I want to look-see for my own peace of mind. Maybe two three times a year is not a bad idea. Just 2 cents, Hope this help, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back