What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab Blind Rivets

DarrylFoster

I'm New Here
I'm working on the trim tab and I'm ready to start riveting the bottom pieces (Trim tab spar, outer and inter horns). However, it calls for CS4-4 blind rivets on the side tabs.
Since everything is match drilled, couldn't I use solid rivets here and squeeze them now before closing up the tab and riveting the trim tab spar?

I'm working on the trim tab and I'm ready to start riveting the bottom pieces (Trim tab spar, outer and inter horns). However, it calls for CS4-4 blind rivets on the side tabs.
Since everything is match drilled, couldn't I use solid rivets here and squeeze them now before closing up the tab and riveting the trim tab spar?

I suppose you could if you could fit a squeezer down in the very aft part of the tab but it's too far back for a longeron squeezer and I don't think you'll be able to do it.

The other option, one I ignored when I was building, is to hack off all of that folded over nonsense...just take a pair of snips and cut it off and then make small recessed ribs that you can slide inside and squeeze them with rivets on the top and bottom of the trim tab skin.

Like I said, I didn't do that and I hated how close the pulled rivet heads were to the elevator skin. So I took the whole thing out and cut it off.

And, because I'm like every other builder, I did all that on the second trim tab I attempted to build. ;)

Anyway, the process is finely detailed here.

Back