What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging the engine

8 Builder

My fuselage is still open on top to make wiring easier amongst other things. I recently had the arrival of a beautiful new baby engine, (Superior IO 360):D. My question is; Is there any problem hanging the engine before the top is on the fuse? Will the weight change the shape of the fuselage enough that my pre fitted upper skins will not match up well? I would like to do all the firewall forward wiring with the engine in place. Comments welcome for pros and cons.

Thanks, Rich

Many, many folks have hung the engine on an -8 before riveting the forward top skin on (myself included). Never even gave it a thought - and turned out just fine.

Engine Hangin'

My fuselage is still open on top to make wiring easier amongst other things. I recently had the arrival of a beautiful new baby engine, (Superior IO 360):D. My question is; Is there any problem hanging the engine before the top is on the fuse? Will the weight change the shape of the fuselage enough that my pre fitted upper skins will not match up well? I would like to do all the firewall forward wiring with the engine in place. Comments welcome for pros and cons.

Thanks, Rich

No problem at all! Consider that the right side of the forward top skin has the baggage door cut out, thus by design does not provide any structural support to the firewall or sub-structure that the engine mount attatches to on that side. There is otherwise no structural difference between the left and right sides of the fuselage, therefore I concluded in my case that it was perfectly acceptable to hang the engine prior to riveting the forward top skin. I saw no evidence that any of the fuselage structure flexed or deformed after hanging the engine.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
from other posts doesn't sound like a problem but i made a support out of a piece of 2 x 4 with a notch in one end to fit the forward end of the engine and adjusted it so it seems to carry about as much weight as the engine mounts. at least lessens the possibility of the leverage of the engine ''racking '' the unfinished fuselege a bit.
getting ready to start on the cowling and i have an eyelet in the ceiling joist above the engine and will do the same from above while i can't use the 2 x 4 with the cowl instalation. during cowl fitting i know i will have to loosen overhead support to check for engine sagging on rubber mount points.

Back