What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well Finally....First Flight!

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
After 17+ years, RV-8 N678MT finally took to the air on November 20, 2016. Two flights. No surprises, no leaks. Flies just like an airplane should. Lots to learn and probably some tweaking to do, but we've started! I have some video that I need to edit and I'll post it later.

To paraphrase a recently unsuccessful candidate for President, it does take a village to build an RV, and that village is here on VAF. Thanks for Doug for hosting and maintaining VAF! And I surely would not have finished this without the support of so many stalwart members. Thank you very much for responding to my many stupid questions! :)

More to come....

Congratulations! The plane looks great and with your power-to-weight ratio, it should be a blast to fly!

IMG_0837.jpg

Congrats, Mark!! Very well-deserved first flight. Your attention to detail really paid off. :)

Vic

Congratulations Mark!
I notice you're from Collierville. We also live in Collierville and have an RV7 down in Holly Springs. I'm always looking to meet other RV pilots. Maybe we'll run into you one of these days.

Congratulations!

Congrats my friend. Your hard work has paid off. Now it's time to fly her like you built her!
Cheers
Jeff

Congratulations Mark!
I notice you're from Collierville. We also live in Collierville and have an RV7 down in Holly Springs. I'm always looking to meet other RV pilots. Maybe we'll run into you one of these days.

Hi Chuck. I'm at FYE...I'd love to meet you...I'm at FYE. Let me know the next time you can fly up and I'll make sure to be there.

Looks great, Mark. I'm considering a similar engine/prop combo on my prospective build. I'm anxious to see what adjustments you make on landing to account for the fixed pitch prop. It does seem to want to float on you a bit when using the flaps.

Again, great job.

Looks great, Mark. I'm considering a similar engine/prop combo on my prospective build. I'm anxious to see what adjustments you make on landing to account for the fixed pitch prop. It does seem to want to float on you a bit when using the flaps.

Again, great job.

When I did my transition training with Bruce Bohannon in his RV-8 with CS prop, we simulated the fixed pitch prop by pulling the power and prop all the way back. And it just floated on and on. Like a perpetual motion machine!

For my first flights, I made my landings without flaps...amazing how far it floated before touching down. Recently I've been using full flaps and although it does float a little, it's a ton better than without the flaps. I'm getting my airspeed down a little and I think I'm close to a reasonable "over the numbers" speed in the mid 70s. Without the constant speed prop, it appears that you really need the flaps to get your airspeed under control without dragging it in low and slow.

I did not know you were that old, 70 is a ggod number

When I did my transition training with Bruce Bohannon in his RV-8 with CS prop, we simulated the fixed pitch prop by pulling the power and prop all the way back. And it just floated on and on. Like a perpetual motion machine!

For my first flights, I made my landings without flaps...amazing how far it floated before touching down. Recently I've been using full flaps and although it does float a little, it's a ton better than without the flaps. I'm getting my airspeed down a little and I think I'm close to a reasonable "over the numbers" speed in the mid 70s. Without the constant speed prop, it appears that you really need the flaps to get your airspeed under control without dragging it in low and slow.

Your right on track. I don't know if you are stating 70's in Sm. or Kts., but we have found that if we try to nail down 70 Kts. from Base to Final or at least late final, that there is just that right amount of energy left to arrest and settle in at the bottom of the round-out. And it work pretty good both at 1400 Lbs. and gross. Good job, keep it up, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Your right on track. I don't know if you are stating 70's in Sm. or Kts., but we have found that if we try to nail down 70 Kts. from Base to Final or at least late final, that there is just that right amount of energy left to arrest and settle in at the bottom of the round-out. And it work pretty good both at 1400 Lbs. and gross. Good job, keep it up, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks...I'm thinking about taking the day off tomorrow to practice. I'll try 70 KIAS

Congrats Mark! Now, bring to Winchester this Saturday to the EAA breakfast fly in and let us admire it. That's if you've flown of the necessary hours.

Last edited:
Back